It is currently Mon 17 Jun 2019 2:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019 12:01 am 

So, I've got Trasna na dtonnta done, and aonach amárach. And I'll post those line by line if anyone wants, but, I'm finding this one harder. Lacha Bacach. I'll post what I have so far and if anybody can correct or do the next line or two that would be great.

A chréatuirin leóinte is brón liom do dhreach. poor little creature your appearance saddens me

Im' choinnibh sa phóirse is tú breoite tinn salach Towards me in the laneway and you injured, sick and dirty

Do sciatháin ba ró-dheas ag sileadh sa lóib leat Your wing was so nice flowing behind you

'S do lapa beag gleoite dár ndóigh na dhá leath And your small pretty paw of course in two halves

An t-asal is dócha a thug tú le speach The donkey I suppose/probably gave you a kick

Is greadach go deo air ba mhór é a theaspach

Cuirfead bata fuinseoige ag rince sa tóin air I will put an ash stick dancing on his backside

Is ceangal naoi ló air cois teorainn na staic And tie him nine days beside the boundary to a stake/post

Ceart, tá tuirseach orm, agus táim meisce anois. Bead ar áis amárach.

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019 12:32 am 

Tar liomsa im' dhóid. Chun go dtomhaisfead do chneá Come with me in my hand so that I can estimate your wound

Is ná bí chomh glórach ní ceol do bhac bhac And don't be so voiciferous (loud-voiced) don't sing your quack quack

Idir bhriseadh 'gus leonadh tá ainnise mhór ort between breaks and sprains there is great misery on you

Is is céasadh san domhsa mo lacha bhacach And that is torment for me my lame duck

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 3:03 pm 

oisin wrote:
So, I've got Trasna na dtonnta done, and aonach amárach. And I'll post those line by line if anyone wants, but, I'm finding this one harder. Lacha Bacach. I'll post what I have so far and if anybody can correct or do the next line or two that would be great.

A chréatuirin leóinte is brón liom do dhreach. poor little creature your appearance saddens me

Im' choinnibh sa phóirse is tú breoite tinn salach Towards me in the laneway and you injured, sick and dirty

Do sciatháin ba ró-dheas ag sileadh sa lóib leat Your wing was so nice flowing behind you

'S do lapa beag gleoite dár ndóigh na dhá leath And your small pretty paw of course in two halves

An t-asal is dócha a thug tú le speach The donkey I suppose/probably gave you a kick

Cuirfead bata fuinseoige ag rince sa tóin air I will put an ash stick dancing on his backside

Is ceangal naoi ló air cois teorainn na staic And tie him nine days beside the boundary to a stake/post

Ceart, tá tuirseach orm, agus táim meisce anois. Bead ar áis amárach.

You missed a line:

"Bad cess to him forever, his ardour was great."

oisin wrote:
Is ná bí chomh glórach ní ceol do bhac bhac And don't be so voiciferous (loud-voiced) don't sing your quack quack

ní ceol do bhac bhac "Your quack quack is not musical."

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun 2019 12:57 am 

Ah thank you Breandán!

I've found Lacha Bacach to be a tough one to translate.

I could not figure out that greadach go deo air line. And looking at the next verses makes me tired. I'll try one more for tonight sure.

Cad a dhéanfad amáireach is cás liom a mheas
What will I do tomorrow I'm concerned to consider

Gan an t-ubh gorm bhreá, mar ba ghnáth chun briceasta
Without the fine blue egg, which is usually for breakfast