It is currently Thu 12 Dec 2019 5:30 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:33 pm
Posts: 7
I am asking for help in having two quotes translated for tattoos as well as the pronunciation of each. If you have a suggestion of font to use as well, please include that. The quotes I am looking at are the following;

"God did not save me to tame me, arise lioness!"

"Warrior daughter of God"

If you would be willing to help me, I would greatly appreciate your time and effort in helping me with this beautiful language.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2019 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1464
Linked wrote:
I am asking for help in having two quotes translated for tattoos as well as the pronunciation of each. If you have a suggestion of font to use as well, please include that. The quotes I am looking at are the following;

"God did not save me to tame me, arise lioness!"

"Warrior daughter of God"

If you would be willing to help me, I would greatly appreciate your time and effort in helping me with this beautiful language.


Níor shábháil Dia mé chun mise a cheansú,
God did not save me to tame me,
éirigh a leoin bhaininn!
arise lioness!

The second one is ambiguous in English. It could mean that she's:
-- a "warrior, [and a] daughter of God", or
-- a "warrior daughter" of God

They could be different in Irish, although there might be a change in meaning making the second one below different from what you want:

Gaiscíoch, iníon Dé
Warrior, [and a] daughter of God

Iníon ghaisciúil Dé
"warrior daughter" of God
In this case, the adjective could be read as meaning "valiant" or "warlike", rather than "warrior-ish"

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 22 Feb 2019 4:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:33 pm
Posts: 7
Thank you! I believe the first, a "warrior, (and a) daughter of God" is what I'm looking for.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 26 Feb 2019 9:33 am
Posts: 1
Were those two lines taken from anywhere specific, Linked? I'm just curious.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:33 pm
Posts: 7
Espitia wrote:
Were those two lines taken from anywhere specific, Linked? I'm just curious.


The "God did not save me to tame me..." was from Lisa Bevere's "Lioness Arising". The other is not from anywhere specific.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 2:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:33 pm
Posts: 7
Please, I'm looking for confirmation for this tattoo translation. Yes, by blood I'm Irish, though I was born in Ireland. My grandfather repeatedly beat my mother in the hopes of causing a miscarriage. God kept me safe. I was given up for adoption and I know He has a plan and purpose for me. My husband and I are traveling to Israel in September where we plan to visit the oldest tattoo shop there is. My plan is to get a tattoo where my Lord walked as well as acknowledging what God did before I was born. I long for it to be in Irish as I
firmly believe that the Irish are strong people, good people.... People I'm related to in the lineage of my blood. Please, if you are able, would you help me with the transition? Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3552
Location: An Astráil
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Níor shábháil Dia mé chun mise a cheansú,
God did not save me to tame me,

This bit looks fine, though might suffice instead of mise, and Connacht Irish would use le instead of chun. :good:

CaoimhínSF wrote:
éirigh, a leoin bhaininn!
arise lioness!

I believe the vocative of leon baineann is a leoin bhaininn (Can someone please confirm?)

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Gaiscíoch, iníon Dé
Warrior, [and a] daughter of God

Iníon ghaisciúil Dé
"warrior daughter" of God
In this case, the adjective could be read as meaning "valiant" or "warlike", rather than "warrior-ish"

Modelling from dochtúir mná and leanbh iníne "female child", I think "warrior daughter" can be expressed as gaiscíoch iníne.

I propose Gaiscíoch Iníne Dé for ""Warrior Daughter of God"

Await further input ...

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1187
Breandán wrote:
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Níor shábháil Dia mé chun mise a cheansú,
God did not save me to tame me,

This bit looks fine, though might suffice instead of mise, and Connacht Irish would use le instead of chun. :good:

It looks fine for me, too
But it is (perhaps) too neutral.
I'd put the relevant part first:

Ní chun mé a cheansú a shábháil Dia mé.

(or: chun mo cheansaithe or le mo cheansú)

Breandán wrote:
CaoimhínSF wrote:
éirigh, a leoin bhaininn!
arise lioness!

I believe the vocative of leon baineann is a leoin bhaininn (Can someone please confirm?)


:good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3552
Location: An Astráil
Labhrás wrote:
I'd put the relevant part first:

Ní chun mé a cheansú a shábháil Dia mé.

:good:

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun 2019 7:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 21 Feb 2019 5:33 pm
Posts: 7
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much! This means the world to me, thank you for all your help!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group