It is currently Tue 26 Mar 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:42 pm 

Thank you everyone again for all of your help and input. I also had a question about capitalization. Do I use an uppercase T or lowercase? Does it make a difference like the little line that is over the I and points to the right? In the tattoo handbook I have it says that it does make a difference in the small line and which direction it goes. I know what I am about to say is a huge no no but out of curiosity I used Google translate :bolt:. I know that sometimes it is incorrect and like I said 100 times I'd rather have the correct translation than to trust Google, and I don't ink on my skin there forever and have it be wrong. I don't want to be a meme for the rest of my life. I'd wait over a year so that everything goes smoothly like my last tattoo. :prof: :stoning: :computer: :facepalm: :clap:

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:36 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
kmhprincess86 wrote:
Thank you everyone, it seems that Trodaí is the word I will most likely go with. I also found Trodaire, and I was wondering what the difference if any there is?

Trodaire is used in the sense of an airplane, a fighter jet. It would not mean fighter as in a person.

Quote:
Do I use an uppercase T or lowercase? Does it make a difference like the little line that is over the I and points to the right?

The "t" has to be written a bit larger than the rest if you want it to be like "Trodaí". And yes, you do need the line over the "i".
You want exactly what Labhrás gave you earlier:

Trodaí

Quote:
I know what I am about to say is a huge no no but out of curiosity I used Google translate . . .

Google translate is a tool that can be used in certain situations by people who know a certain language. It's not 100% foolproof. Most translation by Google falls short a large part of the time.

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019 11:00 pm 

Okay I think I got it down now. I just want the word fighter in the singular sense. Not " I am a fighter" or "you are a fighter", just plain one word, simple. I saw the other way with the "e" at the end on Google. I have gotten enough responses and I also have a Irish tattoo handbook that says to wait until I have more input. I just get nervous that I will be that guy and have some ink on their body and it's wrong and you can't go back and change it unless I got a cover up, which is not happening. My other tattoo I had needed to shorten to just 1 word, thankfully I took my handbook with me so everything went as planned that and I did research for over a year. Google translate can be iffy for something's and it really hasn't gotten me very far, but that's just me. I guess my final question would :facepalm: :good: :bash: :oops: :?: be what kind of font should I go with and the "t" needs to be a little bit larger but not uppercase?

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019 7:55 am 

kmhprincess86 wrote:
Okay I think I got it down now. I just want the word fighter in the singular sense. Not " I am a fighter" or "you are a fighter", just plain one word, simple. I saw the other way with the "e" at the end on Google. I have gotten enough responses and I also have a Irish tattoo handbook that says to wait until I have more input. I just get nervous that I will be that guy and have some ink on their body and it's wrong and you can't go back and change it unless I got a cover up, which is not happening. My other tattoo I had needed to shorten to just 1 word, thankfully I took my handbook with me so everything went as planned that and I did research for over a year. Google translate can be iffy for something's and it really hasn't gotten me very far, but that's just me. I guess my final question would :facepalm: :good: :bash: :oops: :?: be what kind of font should I go with and the "t" needs to be a little bit larger but not uppercase?

The "t" in this case is the same as the lower case, simply larger. That's true for most Insular Script letters. It's up to you how big or small you want to make it. If you look at old religious texts written in Irish (and English or other languages for that matter) the first letter(s) of the text on the page is/are sometimes HUGE and decorated with vines, flowers, and so on. See this "t"! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_K ... nitial.jpg

I really think what we gave you with that font would be a very nice tat. The font is Bunchló Ársa GC Regular. See here - http://www.gaelchlo.com/bunarsgc.html There are a lot of font types out there, so you have a great corpus to choose from.

But it's ultimately up to you to get what you want. Check with other people (friends, etc.) and ask what they think, too.

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019 11:09 pm 

I guess I have a dumb question is do I need to put the pucuation mark on the "i" or just the little line? on my other tattoo the line is pointing to right?

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019 11:25 pm 

kmhprincess86 wrote:
I guess I have a dumb question is do I need to put the pucuation mark on the "i" or just the little line? on my other tattoo the line is pointing to right?

That's not a dumb question at all. It's good to be sure about these things. :)

That line is an acute accent. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent
It looks like this in the font we are using to write now: í
and shows that the sound of the vowel "i" is longer, maybe twice as long.
It sounds like the "i" in pizza except longer. Imagine you want a pizza and you tell
you friend, Let's order a pizza. And she says, What? And you say, Piiizza! Let's order one.
But in Irish and many other languages, the length of vowels can have an effect on meaning.
If you wrote "trodai" without the accent, there could be some misunderstanding.

See this picture of a tattoo with the word "grá" on the left and "chroí" on the right?
That is the same accent you need to put over your "i". http://s3.amazonaws.com/ink_prod/photos ... _large.jpg

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2019 10:56 am 

tiomluasocein wrote:
It sounds like the "i" in pizza except longer. Imagine you want a pizza and you tell
you friend, Let's order a pizza. And she says, What? And you say, Piiizza! Let's order one.

Tá ocras orm anois. :D

PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2019 2:30 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
Tá ocras orm anois. :D

Orm freisin ach táim an-trom, a mhic. :darklaugh:

PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2019 5:56 pm 

Okay so it seems to be crunch time as my appointment is little over a week away. :rofl: After all of the input I'm going to go with Trodaí with a lower case "t" but have the t a little bigger than the rest of the letters and the same line over the "i" with no dot over the "i". 8O :mrgreen: :LOL: :panic:. I am just trying to get everything together so I don't make any mistakes and please correct me if I am. :??: :dhera: :hide: :facepalm: :guiness: :computer:

PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019 12:42 am 

Labhrás wrote:

Trodaí

This is an old font. One that was always used in the past with Irish, but is optional today.
If using it you have to copy it EXACTLY as given.

In a modern font it's:

Trodaí

You can have all the letters in lowercase or first letter capital, or the whole word in all capitals, that's your personal option.

You MUST have an accent on the last letter í. That's a slanted line, not a dot.