It is currently Tue 26 Mar 2019 4:53 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 8
Thank you everyone again for all of your help and input. I also had a question about capitalization. Do I use an uppercase T or lowercase? Does it make a difference like the little line that is over the I and points to the right? In the tattoo handbook I have it says that it does make a difference in the small line and which direction it goes. I know what I am about to say is a huge no no but out of curiosity I used Google translate :bolt:. I know that sometimes it is incorrect and like I said 100 times I'd rather have the correct translation than to trust Google, and I don't ink on my skin there forever and have it be wrong. I don't want to be a meme for the rest of my life. I'd wait over a year so that everything goes smoothly like my last tattoo. :prof: :stoning: :computer: :facepalm: :clap:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 181
Labhrás wrote:
kmhprincess86 wrote:
Thank you everyone, it seems that Trodaí is the word I will most likely go with. I also found Trodaire, and I was wondering what the difference if any there is?


Trodaire is used in the sense of an airplane, a fighter jet. It would not mean fighter as in a person.

Quote:
Do I use an uppercase T or lowercase? Does it make a difference like the little line that is over the I and points to the right?


The "t" has to be written a bit larger than the rest if you want it to be like "Trodaí". And yes, you do need the line over the "i".
You want exactly what Labhrás gave you earlier:

Trodaí

Quote:
I know what I am about to say is a huge no no but out of curiosity I used Google translate . . .


Google translate is a tool that can be used in certain situations by people who know a certain language. It's not 100% foolproof. Most translation by Google falls short a large part of the time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019 11:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 8
Okay I think I got it down now. I just want the word fighter in the singular sense. Not " I am a fighter" or "you are a fighter", just plain one word, simple. I saw the other way with the "e" at the end on Google. I have gotten enough responses and I also have a Irish tattoo handbook that says to wait until I have more input. I just get nervous that I will be that guy and have some ink on their body and it's wrong and you can't go back and change it unless I got a cover up, which is not happening. My other tattoo I had needed to shorten to just 1 word, thankfully I took my handbook with me so everything went as planned that and I did research for over a year. Google translate can be iffy for something's and it really hasn't gotten me very far, but that's just me. I guess my final question would :facepalm: :good: :bash: :oops: :?: be what kind of font should I go with and the "t" needs to be a little bit larger but not uppercase?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019 7:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 181
kmhprincess86 wrote:
Okay I think I got it down now. I just want the word fighter in the singular sense. Not " I am a fighter" or "you are a fighter", just plain one word, simple. I saw the other way with the "e" at the end on Google. I have gotten enough responses and I also have a Irish tattoo handbook that says to wait until I have more input. I just get nervous that I will be that guy and have some ink on their body and it's wrong and you can't go back and change it unless I got a cover up, which is not happening. My other tattoo I had needed to shorten to just 1 word, thankfully I took my handbook with me so everything went as planned that and I did research for over a year. Google translate can be iffy for something's and it really hasn't gotten me very far, but that's just me. I guess my final question would :facepalm: :good: :bash: :oops: :?: be what kind of font should I go with and the "t" needs to be a little bit larger but not uppercase?


The "t" in this case is the same as the lower case, simply larger. That's true for most Insular Script letters. It's up to you how big or small you want to make it. If you look at old religious texts written in Irish (and English or other languages for that matter) the first letter(s) of the text on the page is/are sometimes HUGE and decorated with vines, flowers, and so on. See this "t"! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_K ... nitial.jpg

I really think what we gave you with that font would be a very nice tat. The font is Bunchló Ársa GC Regular. See here - http://www.gaelchlo.com/bunarsgc.html There are a lot of font types out there, so you have a great corpus to choose from.

But it's ultimately up to you to get what you want. Check with other people (friends, etc.) and ask what they think, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019 11:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 8
I guess I have a dumb question is do I need to put the pucuation mark on the "i" or just the little line? on my other tattoo the line is pointing to right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019 11:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 181
kmhprincess86 wrote:
I guess I have a dumb question is do I need to put the pucuation mark on the "i" or just the little line? on my other tattoo the line is pointing to right?


That's not a dumb question at all. It's good to be sure about these things. :)

That line is an acute accent. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_accent
It looks like this in the font we are using to write now: í
and shows that the sound of the vowel "i" is longer, maybe twice as long.
It sounds like the "i" in pizza except longer. Imagine you want a pizza and you tell
you friend, Let's order a pizza. And she says, What? And you say, Piiizza! Let's order one.
But in Irish and many other languages, the length of vowels can have an effect on meaning.
If you wrote "trodai" without the accent, there could be some misunderstanding.

See this picture of a tattoo with the word "grá" on the left and "chroí" on the right?
That is the same accent you need to put over your "i". http://s3.amazonaws.com/ink_prod/photos ... _large.jpg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2019 10:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1044
tiomluasocein wrote:
It sounds like the "i" in pizza except longer. Imagine you want a pizza and you tell
you friend, Let's order a pizza. And she says, What? And you say, Piiizza! Let's order one.


Tá ocras orm anois. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 01 Mar 2019 2:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 181
Labhrás wrote:
Tá ocras orm anois. :D


Orm freisin ach táim an-trom, a mhic. :darklaugh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 11 Mar 2019 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 29 Jan 2019 9:29 pm
Posts: 8
Okay so it seems to be crunch time as my appointment is little over a week away. :rofl: After all of the input I'm going to go with Trodaí with a lower case "t" but have the t a little bigger than the rest of the letters and the same line over the "i" with no dot over the "i". 8O :mrgreen: :LOL: :panic:. I am just trying to get everything together so I don't make any mistakes and please correct me if I am. :??: :dhera: :hide: :facepalm: :guiness: :computer:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 12 Mar 2019 12:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2749
Labhrás wrote:

Trodaí



This is an old font. One that was always used in the past with Irish, but is optional today.
If using it you have to copy it EXACTLY as given.

In a modern font it's:

Trodaí

You can have all the letters in lowercase or first letter capital, or the whole word in all capitals, that's your personal option.

You MUST have an accent on the last letter í. That's a slanted line, not a dot.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group