It is currently Wed 22 May 2019 4:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 29 Jan 2019 3:00 am 

I’m interested in getting a tattoo in Irish however I’m not fluent in the language. I wanted to confirm the translation and meaning from English to Irish. The tattoo I want to get will mean "I am a Celtic woman" which is a philosophy I was raised with and a mantra I believe in. From the research I've done, the translation I've found for this is "Is bean Cheilteach mé". Is this correct? And how should this be pronounced? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2019 11:23 am 

is it really necessary to add Woman ? why not "I'm a Celt" = Is Ceilteach mé [ISS Kel TUH EUCH MAY]
The reason I suggest this is when one add the H in Irish , English monoglots cannot pronounce the aspiration phoneme sound the H adds to the word.The German have the same sound as the Irish i.e
Bach not pronounced BACK, Buch Not BOUk , Ich not ITCH .
when one adds h to c(H)eilteach the K phonetic is changed completely, an English monoglot speaker cannot pronounce it properly.

Last edited by micab on Sat 02 Feb 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Feb 2019 1:07 pm 

micab wrote:
an English monoglot speaker cannot pronounce it properly.

He cannot pronounce the -each suffix either. ;)

(btw. /Kel TUH EUCH/ isn't correct, too. There are just two syllables. https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/ceilteach)

PostPosted: Mon 04 Feb 2019 1:14 am 

lotsoflocksleia wrote:
I’m interested in getting a tattoo in Irish however I’m not fluent in the language. I wanted to confirm the translation and meaning from English to Irish. The tattoo I want to get will mean "I am a Celtic woman" which is a philosophy I was raised with and a mantra I believe in. From the research I've done, the translation I've found for this is "Is bean Cheilteach mé". Is this correct? And how should this be pronounced? Thanks!

Yes, Is bean Cheilteach mé is a correct translation for 'I am a Celtic Woman'.

However, in what way was the philosophy you were raised with discernibly 'Celtic'?

Celtic in the linguistic sense, is the nomenclature used to differentiate continental Celtic-language speakers from those who spoke a non-Celtic language. Or, in the more modern sense, people who speak, or recently spoke (I don't agree with this addition), a Celtic language: i.e. those who speak/ spoke Irish, Scottish Gaelic, Manx, Welsh, Breton, or Cornish.

or,

In the archaeological, material-culture sense, those who belonged to the Hallstatt A, B, C, or D cultures, or the later La Tène cultures, exemplified by longer swords, and repoussé-style engraving.
In the 19th century, the notion of Celtic was greatly romanticised to the point that it has no definitive value, or basis in reality.

I am asking you this question because if you describe what you mean by the mantra/ philosophy you were brought up with, we might be able to give you a more apt translation. E.g. Is bean láidir mé 'I am a strong woman'.

Cian

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)