It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan 2019 10:38 pm 

Hi all,

Thanks for making this forum such a wonderful place to learn! I've gotten so many excellent ideas from the members here. I am looking for translation of the following phrase before committing to it:

"Go raibh splanc an ghrá spreagtha go síoraí in bhur gcroíthe"

If there are a few native speakers that could provide their take on the words above it would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan 2019 1:25 am 

NET79 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for making this forum such a wonderful place to learn! I've gotten so many excellent ideas from the members here. I am looking for translation of the following phrase before committing to it:

If there are a few native speakers that could provide their take on the words above it would be most appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

It would help if you were to explain what you mean to say, because the expression is a bit confusing. Pending figuring out what else to change, if the ending remains essentially as is, it would be "... i bhur gcroíthe" [no "n" after the "i"].

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan 2019 2:05 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
NET79 wrote:
Hi all,

It would help if you were to explain what you mean to say, because the expression is a bit confusing. Pending figuring out what else to change, if the ending remains essentially as is, it would be "... i bhur gcroíthe" [no "n" after the "i"].

Also, typically the singular is used for things that everyone has one of...so I would say "i bhur gcroí."

"In" is sometimes used before "bhur," but I don't know where, or what the rules are.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan 2019 1:40 pm 

It is definitely in bhur in Standard Irish

Graiméar Gaeilge na mBráithe Críostaí wrote:
22.2 Scríobhtar in thar ceann i roimh ghuta nó roimh fhuaim ghuta: in Éirinn; in x; in An tOileánach. Scríobhtar in i gcorrchás eile: in bhur; in dhá áit, in b, in c; in Cré na Cille, etc., agus i gcás logainmneacha (seachas ainmneacha tíortha) thar lear nach bhfuil leaganacha Gaeilge faoi leith ann dóibh: in Birmingham; in Devon; in Monte Carlo; in Chicago

And I'd expect an /n/ sound in all dialects except for Ulster.

PostPosted: Sat 19 Jan 2019 9:48 pm 

Quote:
It is definitely in bhur in Standard Irish

I didn't realize that! It's good to know (I checked FGB, and it agrees with you).

PostPosted: Sun 20 Jan 2019 8:25 pm 

NET79 wrote:
Hi all,

What did you want translated?

Words can differ in meaning depending on context or intended meaning. Like splanc can mean either ember or flame.
What you have there is something like: May the flame of love be encouraged eternally in your hearts.

And bear in mind what the grammar experts before me have commented.

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan 2019 4:04 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
What did you want translated?

Words can differ in meaning depending on context or intended meaning. Like splanc can mean either ember or flame.
What you have there is something like: May the flame of love be encouraged eternally in your hearts.

And bear in mind what the grammar experts before me have commented.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I apologize for not including what I wanted translated, I should have also posted that in my original message.

Basically, I took a variation of a phrase that was recommended in another thread by MacBoo and sent this to an artist who is doing work for me. The artist wanted to confirm the phrase with his own source before incorporating it into the work. The desired translation is "May the spark of love be kindled eternally in your hearts."

It looks like Bríd Mhór was very close based on what was provided, but if there is a better way of saying this I am open to suggestions. My understanding is the person who sent back that translation to the artist is a native speaker, but I know there are so many interpretations depending on dialect, etc.

Thanks again!!