It is currently Sun 15 Sep 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2019 2:07 am 

Irish has so many ways to say this.

Look here and you can see what I mean:

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/darling

Maybe if you would post a specific context on when you would use it, we could give you something good.

PostPosted: Fri 23 Aug 2019 9:38 pm 

Thank you so much for a wonderful resource, Tiomluasocein! I'm looking for something along the lines of "Are you unwell, darling?" (between two friends) or "Sleep now, darling." (between a mother and a daughter).

THANKS AGAIN! :GRMA:

tiomluasocein wrote:
Irish has so many ways to say this.

Look here and you can see what I mean:

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fgb/darling

Maybe if you would post a specific context on when you would use it, we could give you something good.

PostPosted: Sat 24 Aug 2019 2:00 pm 

vaerov wrote:
Hello again, I'm looking for an Irish equivalent of the word "darling" as referred to a child or a good friend (not as an endearment between two lovers). Thank you in advance!

:GRMA: :GRMA:

A leanbh - is the commonest term in Conamara. It means baby or child. But it's used as a term of endearment. Adults can say it to other (usually younger) adults too but it's never a romantic term. Similar to the Southern United States usage, especially among black people, when they call somebody "child".

It's pronounced Alannah, and that is where that given name comes from.

PostPosted: Mon 26 Aug 2019 3:25 pm 

Thank you Bríd Mhór! I love "a leanbh," but it's getting overused in my novel :) Looking for another endearment to mix it up a bit!

Bríd Mhór wrote:
vaerov wrote:
Hello again, I'm looking for an Irish equivalent of the word "darling" as referred to a child or a good friend (not as an endearment between two lovers). Thank you in advance!

:GRMA: :GRMA:

A leanbh - is the commonest term in Conamara. It means baby or child. But it's used as a term of endearment. Adults can say it to other (usually younger) adults too but it's never a romantic term. Similar to the Southern United States usage, especially among black people, when they call somebody "child".

It's pronounced Alannah, and that is where that given name comes from.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8