It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 4:06 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Thu 06 Jun 2019 9:15 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 4:50 pm
Posts: 34
Location: USA
Thank you very much for this information. I'm writing historical fiction, and my second main character is loosely based on the life of Shane O'Neill (Shane the Proud). Some of the documented events of his life (e.g. unanimous election of him as the next O'Neill, his strife with a certain English viceroy, etc.), as well as the names of well-known historical figures (e.g. Queen Elizabeth I, Mary Stuart, etc.), remain unchanged. However, I have changed his first name and use the spelling "O'Neal" for his family name in order to further distance the fictional character from the actual person. Having said this, anyone familiar with the history of the 16th century Ireland will easily recognize Shane O'Neill in my character, so I don't want to change his clan name beyond recognition.

The main character's surname (I need one for my novel :) ) is McKinnon, as someone on this forum suggested this is Scottish in origin (which is fine) and loosely means "love, beloved, etc.). Once again, my novel is a work of fiction, so my creative license comes into play more often than not!

I would appreciate any feedback, good or bad!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2019 4:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 08 Jan 2016 11:37 pm
Posts: 124
vaerov wrote:
The main character's surname (I need one for my novel :) ) is McKinnon, as someone on this forum suggested this is Scottish in origin (which is fine) and loosely means "love, beloved, etc.). Once again, my novel is a work of fiction, so my creative license comes into play more often than not!


One nitpick: nobody suggested it means ‘beloved’, in Gaelic it is MacFhionghain (in Irish often as Mac Fhionghuine), and means ‘son (descendant) of Fionghuine (Findanus or Fingon)’ and Fionghuine means ‘fair-born; born fair-haired’. The name has nothing to do with the concept of love. ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2019 4:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1139
silmeth wrote:
vaerov wrote:
The main character's surname (I need one for my novel :) ) is McKinnon, as someone on this forum suggested this is Scottish in origin (which is fine) and loosely means "love, beloved, etc.). Once again, my novel is a work of fiction, so my creative license comes into play more often than not!


One nitpick: nobody suggested it means ‘beloved’, in Gaelic it is MacFhionghain (in Irish often as Mac Fhionghuine), and means ‘son (descendant) of Fionghuine (Findanus or Fingon)’ and Fionghuine means ‘fair-born; born fair-haired’. The name has nothing to do with the concept of love. ;-)


Well, I suggested Mac Ionmhain (mod. spelling Mac Ionúin), also anglicized McKinnon, page 2 of this thread (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5790&start=10#p44736)

You can call me Nobody ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2019 4:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 08 Jan 2016 11:37 pm
Posts: 124
Labhrás wrote:
silmeth wrote:
vaerov wrote:
The main character's surname (I need one for my novel :) ) is McKinnon, as someone on this forum suggested this is Scottish in origin (which is fine) and loosely means "love, beloved, etc.). Once again, my novel is a work of fiction, so my creative license comes into play more often than not!


One nitpick: nobody suggested it means ‘beloved’, in Gaelic it is MacFhionghain (in Irish often as Mac Fhionghuine), and means ‘son (descendant) of Fionghuine (Findanus or Fingon)’ and Fionghuine means ‘fair-born; born fair-haired’. The name has nothing to do with the concept of love. ;-)


Well, I suggested Mac Ionmhain (mod. spelling Mac Ionúin), also anglicized McKinnon, page 2 of this thread (viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5790&start=10#p44736)

You can call me Nobody ;)

Oups, somehow I missed this post and haven’t found this surname myself. In that case I take my words back. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2019 2:35 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 4:50 pm
Posts: 34
Location: USA
silmeth wrote:
vaerov wrote:
The main character's surname (I need one for my novel :) ) is McKinnon, as someone on this forum suggested this is Scottish in origin (which is fine) and loosely means "love, beloved, etc.). Once again, my novel is a work of fiction, so my creative license comes into play more often than not!


One nitpick: nobody suggested it means ‘beloved’, in Gaelic it is MacFhionghain (in Irish often as Mac Fhionghuine), and means ‘son (descendant) of Fionghuine (Findanus or Fingon)’ and Fionghuine means ‘fair-born; born fair-haired’. The name has nothing to do with the concept of love. ;-)



:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: An Astráil
CaoimhínSF wrote:
vaerov wrote:
I'm so happy the forum is back on!!! Please help with the following translations :D :D
:GRMA: :GRMA: :GRMA:

I wish to do it myself.
I'll make sure you get to then.
You did it yourself, Jane.
You made it possible, Jim.
You made sure that I could, Jim.

(The names are placeholders.)

Ba mhaith liom mé féin a dhéanamh.
I wish to do it myself.

Déanfaidh mé deimhin go mbeidh tú in ann a dhéanamh mar sin.
I'll make sure you will be able to do it then.

Rinne tú féin é, a Jane.
You did it yourself, Jane.

Rinne tú é indéanta, a Jim.
You made it possible, Jim.

Rinne tú deimhin go mbeadh mé in ann a dhéanamh, a Jim.
You made sure that I could do it, Jim.

Quote:
I couldn't have done it alone." OR "I couldn't have done it without you."
My best result is,"Ní raibh mé in ann é féin a dhéanamh.

Ní raibh mé in ann a dhéanamh i m'aonar.
I couldn't have done it alone.

Ní raibh mé in ann a dhéanamh gan tusa.
I couldn't have done it without you.

Edited to make some corrections as discussed in later posts (I confused a and á).

Just revisiting these, if it's not too late ...

I wish to do it myself.
Is mian liom féin é a dhéanamh. (in person, personally)
or
Is mian liom é a dhéanamh asam féin. (by myself, by my own devices)

I'll make sure you get to then.
Cinnteoidh mé gur tusa a dhéanfaidh é, mar sin.
(I will ensure that it is you who will do it then.)

You did it yourself, Jane.
Rinne tusa thú féin é, a ~. (no one else is to blame)
or
Rinne tú asat féin é, a ~. (all by yourself, by your own ability)

You made it possible, Jim.
Is tusa a thug an deis dom, a ~. (It is you who gave me the opportunity.)

You made sure that I could, Jim.
Is tusa a chuir ar mo chumas é, a ~. (It is you who enabled me (to do it))

Sorry for stirring up the pot again ...

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2019 12:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3541
Location: An Astráil
vaerov wrote:
2. What is the proper way to say "I love you" to one's beloved? Is it Tá grá agam duit?

Although this is grammatically correct, there are better ways to say "I love you" in Irish. Three of the more idiomatic ones are:

Mo ghrá thú. "I love you" literally "you are my love"

Tá mo chroí istigh ionat. "I love you" literally "my heart is in you" ("I've given you my heart" ?).

Is tusa mo ghrá "I love you" literally "you are my love".

There's a sound file and pronunciation explanation for the first here.

There's a sound file and pronunciation explanation for the second here.

_________________

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Fri 14 Jun 2019 1:54 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 4:50 pm
Posts: 34
Location: USA
Breandán wrote:
vaerov wrote:
2. What is the proper way to say "I love you" to one's beloved? Is it Tá grá agam duit?

Although this is grammatically correct, there are better ways to say "I love you" in Irish. Three of the more idiomatic ones are:

Mo ghrá thú. "I love you" literally "you are my love"

Tá mo chroí istigh ionat. "I love you" literally "my heart is in you" ("I've given you my heart" ?).

Is tusa mo ghrá "I love you" literally "you are my love".

There's a sound file and pronunciation explanation for the first here.

There's a sound file and pronunciation explanation for the second here.



Thank you very much, Breandán! Everything you posted is super helpful!! :GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Mon 05 Aug 2019 9:39 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 4:50 pm
Posts: 34
Location: USA
Is there an Irish equivalent to the word "darling" — as in referring to a child or a good friend, NOT a lover?
Example: "Are you unwell, darling?"

:GRMA: :GRMA: :GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2019 3:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed 02 Jan 2019 4:50 pm
Posts: 34
Location: USA
Hello again, I'm looking for an Irish equivalent of the word "darling" as referred to a child or a good friend (not as an endearment between two lovers). Thank you in advance!

:GRMA: :GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vaerov and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group