It is currently Mon 17 Jun 2019 3:31 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2019 12:38 pm 

You might like to have a look at this -

https://www.teanglann.ie/ga/eid/beloved

https://www.focloir.ie/ga/dictionary/ei/beloved

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2019 7:30 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
vaerov wrote:
Another question :D
How would you say "my brave little warrior" and also "my little warrior" in a dialogue, e.g. "I'm proud of you, my brave little warrior."

Thanks!
:GRMA:

mo ghaiscíoch beag cróga, lit. "my warrior little brave"

Tá bród orm asat, a ghaiscígh bhig chróga = I'm proud of you, my brave little warrior.

There's no "my" (mo) in addressing in Irish. But there's an extra case (vocative) and an extra particle ("a") for addressing.

Thank you, Labhrás! :GRMA: :GRMA:

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2019 7:32 pm 

franc 91 wrote:

Thanks so much! :GRMA:

PostPosted: Tue 19 Mar 2019 8:50 pm 

vaerov wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
vaerov wrote:
How would you say "my brave little warrior" and also "my little warrior" in a dialogue, e.g. "I'm proud of you, my brave little warrior."

Thanks!

Tá bród orm asat, a ghaiscígh bhig chróga = I'm proud of you, my brave little warrior.

There's no "my" (mo) in addressing in Irish. But there's an extra case (vocative) and an extra particle ("a") for addressing.

Another quick quesiton. How is "a ghaiscígh bhig chróga " pronounced phonetically? I place all the Irish phrases in footnotes, along with their transaltions and pronounciations. The language sounds so beautiful, I want the readers to get the full effect!
Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2019 7:30 am 

vaerov wrote:
vaerov wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
vaerov wrote:

Thanks!

Another quick quesiton. How is "a ghaiscígh bhig chróga " pronounced phonetically? I place all the Irish phrases in footnotes, along with their transaltions and pronounciations. The language sounds so beautiful, I want the readers to get the full effect!

in IPA:

/ə ˈɣaːʃciː vɪɟ ˈxɾoːɡə/

or in a simplified phonetic transcription for Irish

/ə ˈɣaːs′k′iː v′iɡ′ ˈxɾoːɡə/

PostPosted: Wed 20 Mar 2019 9:23 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
vaerov wrote:
vaerov wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
vaerov wrote:

Thanks!

in IPA:

/ə ˈɣaːʃciː vɪɟ ˈxɾoːɡə/

Wodnerful! Thanks again :GRMA:

or in a simplified phonetic transcription for Irish

/ə ˈɣaːs′k′iː v′iɡ′ ˈxɾoːɡə/

PostPosted: Fri 22 Mar 2019 4:13 pm 

In need of yet another translation, as well as a few more questions :D

1. How would you say, "Come back to me, Niamh"? Is "Tar ar ais chugam, Niamh" correct?
2. Is there a word that translates into soulmate? A shíorghrá? M’fhíorghrá? I'm looking for a form that would be used in dialogue.
3. Another question about endearments :) Is a chuisle overused? Is there an endearment that is equivalent to the modern "baby?"

:GRMA: :GRMA: :GRMA:

PostPosted: Sat 23 Mar 2019 4:22 am 

vaerov wrote:

1. How would you say, "Come back to me, Niamh"? Is "Tar ar ais chugam, Niamh" correct?
2. Is there a word that translates into soulmate? A shíorghrá? M’fhíorghrá? I'm looking for a form that would be used in dialogue.
3. Another question about endearments :) Is a chuisle overused? Is there an endearment that is equivalent to the modern "baby?"

1. How would you say, "Come back to me, Niamh"? "Tar ar ais chugam, a Niamh".
2. Foclóir gives these three for soulmate: anamchara, cara cléibh, buanchara. "síorghrá" and "fíorghrá" translate directly as "true/real love". They seem OK to me, but you'll have to ask others about their opinions on them. As pointed out before, if you are addressing the person directly you would use "a" and not "mo".
3. Foclóir has "a ghrá", "a thaisce", "a rún", "a stór", "a stóirín", "a chroí" but not "a chuisle" for some reason. Overused? Maybe. But if that's what you want . . . Again, get more input on this.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon 25 Mar 2019 4:21 pm 

tiomluasocein wrote:
vaerov wrote:

1. How would you say, "Come back to me, Niamh"? "Tar ar ais chugam, a Niamh".
2. Foclóir gives these three for soulmate: anamchara, cara cléibh, buanchara. "síorghrá" and "fíorghrá" translate directly as "true/real love". They seem OK to me, but you'll have to ask others about their opinions on them. As pointed out before, if you are addressing the person directly you would use "a" and not "mo".
3. Foclóir has "a ghrá", "a thaisce", "a rún", "a stór", "a stóirín", "a chroí" but not "a chuisle" for some reason. Overused? Maybe. But if that's what you want . . . Again, get more input on this.

Tim

Thanks so much, Tim! :GRMA:

PostPosted: Tue 02 Apr 2019 1:16 am 

In need of a few more translations :D

I only need parts of the dialog that have (IRISH) next to them translated/spelled properly in Irish.

“What’s your name?” asked the doctor, sitting down on the chair next to my hospital bed.
Niamh O’Neal, (IRISH)” I answered, my words only a faint whisper.
The doctor stared at me for a moment, then glanced at one of the life support machines.
“How old are you?”
Nineteen (IRISH).” Certainly, I knew my own age.
“What did you say your name was?” he repeated, appearing to study my pupils.
Niamh O’Neal, born McKinnon, (IRISH)" I replied, deciding to clarify.
“Okay,” said the doctor. “What year is it now?”
The year of our Lord 1553 (IRISH),” I frowned at this strange doctor. Didn’t he know what year it was?
“Alright, dear,” he said evenly. “Rest now.”

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next