It is currently Tue 26 Mar 2019 6:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec 2018 10:55 pm 

Hi.
I have seen possible translations stating it could mean "I'm sorry/ I repent/ I regret".
Are any of these correct and if so, could you provide an example just to put into to context please?
Thank you very much in advance.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2018 6:43 am 

Are you seeking a particular translation? Flooding the forum with asks about individual, often obscure, phrases is not the way to go about it. What are you trying to translate?

Redwolf

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2018 10:50 am 

Redwolf wrote:
Are you seeking a particular translation? Flooding the forum with asks about individual, often obscure, phrases is not the way to go about it. What are you trying to translate?

Redwolf

I am trying to ascertain a basic translation of the phrase itself. For example, I was taught the basic translation for "I like" is "Is maith liom". This might seem like a simplistic approach derived from my secondary school days but nevertheless, this is how I currently choose to study certain phrases that are structured "Is + adj.+ 'le' prep.", when nothing else is available, albeit I am only beginning to learn once again after a number of years. However, if you would like to recommend a better approach, then I am open to considering whatever those who have studied Irish for a long time or are fluent/native speakers would advise me. Once again, it has been a number of years since I have attempted to speak or studied Irish so I would be open to listening how others approach their study of the Irish language.

Redwolf, I don't appreciate the lecture. The reason I am posting is because they are obscure and are therefore beyond my ability to discern their subtle usages. Few sources exist for rare phrases such as "Is aithreach liom". I believe those who have a better grasp of the Irish language than myself might be better able to assist me. If you are going to criticise anyone for posting in a forum which functions by the way to promote discussion through an exchange of information on a particular topic, whether someone creates numerous posts or not, then maybe you should rethink why people use forums in the first place.

In response to your question asking "What are you trying to translate", that is the problem I am faced with. There are such few sources for "Is aithreach liom" to give any particular phrase that I am forced to resort to asking questions like this one. The phrases I have found so far are:

[1] "Is aithreach liom bheith go hóg"
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=lMP ... ch&f=false

[2] "Is aithreach liom a chairde, nach bhfuil an sprioch no an t-imshniomh coir ionnann a ngeall le moran neithibh eile -"
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-9W ... EQ6AEIMDAB

If you can offer any translation or give context to any, then I appreciate it and thank you.

It is worth noting as well that a translation exists in Scots Gaelic for "aithreach" as penitent, sorry. Can also mean "I regret" in certain phrases. Those translations might be wrong so anyone please correct me if they are.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2018 3:40 pm 

ailig_ab wrote:
Hi.
I have seen possible translations stating it could mean "I'm sorry/ I repent/ I regret".
Are any of these correct and if so, could you provide an example just to put into to context please?
Thank you very much in advance.

All phrases with is + adjective + liom mean "It is (very/too) [adjective] in my opinion / from my subjective perspective"
Sometimes this has a further metaphorical meaning, but usually it just means this.

Is aithreach (aithríoch) liom (smth. is penitent for me) is rare.

It's in the Bible: (Genesis 6:7)
ABN wrote:
Agus dúirt an Tiarna: “Scriosfaidh mé de dhroim na talún an duine a chruthaigh mé, agus mar aon leis an duine na hainmhithe, na péisteanna agus éanlaith an aeir,
óir is aithreach liom a ndéanamh.”

KJB wrote:
"And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air;
for it repenteth me that I have made them."

Last edited by Labhrás on Thu 20 Dec 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu 20 Dec 2018 3:42 pm 

The problem is with posting multiple one-phrase threads, one after the other. If you want to start a thread for this, that's fine, but all these single-phrase posts are pushing other posts off the page.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Mon 24 Dec 2018 3:14 am 

This is why I asked the poster, in another thread, if it was OK to combine all these posts into a single one. Making a new post for each and every small question is not necessary.

PostPosted: Sat 29 Dec 2018 9:42 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
Is aithreach (aithríoch) liom (smth. is penitent for me) is rare.

It's in the Bible: (Genesis 6:7)

Personally I've only heard that word in the Biblical sense, and in prayer. I've never heard it in speech, of course that's not to say people don't say it in another dialect I'm not familiar with.