It is currently Sat 17 Nov 2018 6:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Hey guys!!
PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2018 5:44 am 

OK, how correct is this?

I think you are a very beautiful and nice girl. == Cepaim gur cailín álainn agus deas tú.

I'm particularly not sure if that last part should be "deas" or "go deas".

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Hey guys!!
PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2018 1:41 pm 

Ceapaim go bhfuil tú ina cailín álainn deas.

Wait for more input, at least two more offerings.

PostPosted: Tue 30 Oct 2018 3:26 pm 

tiomluasocein wrote:
Ceapaim go bhfuil tú ina cailín álainn deas.

Wait for more input, at least two more offerings.

Ceapaim go bhfuil tú i do chailín álainn deas

or

Ceapaim gur cailín álainn deas thú.

(álainn deas always without agus and because it is an attribute and in copula sentences always without go)

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct 2018 3:33 am 

Labhrás is correct. I made the mistake of thinking of "her". Either of those sentences look good to me.

PostPosted: Wed 31 Oct 2018 7:26 am 

Labhrás wrote:

or

(álainn deas always without agus and because it is an attribute and in copula sentences always without go)

OK, so my initial guess was correct, except I didn't need the "agus". Also, and if I remember correctly from a previous question I asked, whether it's "tú" or "thú" at the end is a dialectal thing??

PostPosted: Tue 06 Nov 2018 9:27 am 

Labhrás wrote:

or

Are these statements of fact (e.g. "I believe you are a" or "I'm guessing you are a"), or appreciation ("I find you to be a")? Or does "ceap" translate both meanings? I.e. are these phrases for indicating to a girl you like her (e.g. you personally find her attractive and nice), or are they just for saying you've no reason to doubt something (e.g. "I think you work in the shop down the road")?

I'm asking because I haven't found examples of "ceap" used to indicate appreciation. When I checked the dictionary for "find", there was no example with "ceap":

Quote:
3 a (Perceive, establish a fact) ... b They will find it easy, tiocfaidh sé go bog leo. I find it impossible to read it, téann díom é a léamh. I find it difficult to come in the morning, is deacair dom teacht ar maidin. I find his conversation difficult, is deacair liom a chuid cainte. I find it does not pay, is é m'aithne air nach mbíonn aon rath air. I find him undependable, an taithí atá agamsa air nach féidir bheith ag brath air.
He found her frankness disarming, bhí sí chomh macánta sin gur bhain sí dá lúdracha é.

And the entry for "think" has a few uses of "ceap", but they're not exactly appreciation. The most similar phrases (I think she is pretty, they thought he was a fool, I think he is crazy) don't use "ceap":
Quote:
4 Ceapaim measaim, sílim, is dóigh liom. Then you think that. . ., tá tú ag ceapadh, is dóigh leat, mar sin go ... Do you think you can do it? measann tú an féidir leat a dhéanamh? It is better, don't you think, to go there? do bharúil, nach fearr dul ann? What do you think I ought to do? céard a cheapfá ba chóir dhom a dhéanamh? I thought all was over, shíleas go raibh gach uile shórt thart. I thought I heard a noise, chonacthas dom gur chualas torann. He thinks he may do anything, tuigtear dó go dtig leis a rogha rud a dhéanamh. I think he is crazy, feictear domsa go bhfuil sé as a mheabhair. I think she is pretty, tá sí deas, dar liom. They thought he was a fool, b'amadán acu é. I think it rather short, is gearr liom é. It is thought that..., ceaptar go . . ., tá ceapadh go . . . I think so, sin mo bharúil. I should hardly think so, ní dhéarfainn é. I should (just) think so! deirimse leat é! mise á rá leat! P: I don't think! diabhal é! mar dhea! I hardly think it likely, is éadóigh é dar liom. You thought me a fool, b'amadán agat mé, thug tú meas amadáin orm. They were thought too rich, ba saibhir le daoine iad. They were thought to be rich, bhí teist an airgid orthu.

So, can "ceap" translate appreciation, such as "I think this soup is delicious!" or "I think you're gorgeous!"?