It is currently Sat 18 Aug 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cú gen. "con"?
PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2018 2:49 pm 

I read in (I think) Ó Dónaill that the archaic form of the genitive singular of the noun cú, "con", can be used in certain phrases. Ó Dónaill goes on to give absolutely no examples of this usage.

My understanding is that the genitive sg. typically follows the nominative sg. and the plural with the plural in the same way in Modern Irish.

Can anyone think of any examples of times, or stock phrases, where the genitive "con" would be used?

Many thanks,
Ade.

Post subject: Re: Cú gen. "con"?
PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2018 3:23 pm 

Ade wrote:
I read in (I think) Ó Dónaill that the archaic form of the genitive singular of the noun cú, "con", can be used in certain phrases. Ó Dónaill goes on to give absolutely no examples of this usage.

My understanding is that the genitive sg. typically follows the nominative sg. and the plural with the plural in the same way in Modern Irish.

Can anyone think of any examples of times, or stock phrases, where the genitive "con" would be used?

Many thanks,
Ade.

In the list of phrases below the main entry there are five phrases with the genitive 'chon' (lhenited after a feminine noun) - e.g. 'caor chon'.

Post subject: Re: Cú gen. "con"?
PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2018 3:30 pm 

Ade wrote:

Many thanks,
Ade.

In surnames as Mac Con Iomaire, Mac Con Uladh etc.
Genitive plural in rásaí con = greyhound races