It is currently Wed 14 Nov 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018 4:31 pm 

Hi there,

I would like to get the word "adventurer" translated into Gaelic (Irish), but I have come across many tenses of the word and need help. I've found eachtraí, eachtránái, and eachtraíochta. Which form/meaning would be best for my tattoo? The meaning I'm looking for is someone who likes to explore or travel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sidenote: Whichever form I use will be written in Ogham. I've got that part figured out though :)

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018 6:08 pm 

morenci wrote:
Hi there,

I would like to get the word "adventurer" translated into Gaelic (Irish), but I have come across many tenses of the word and need help. I've found eachtraí, eachtránái, and eachtraíochta. Which form/meaning would be best for my tattoo? The meaning I'm looking for is someone who likes to explore or travel. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sidenote: Whichever form I use will be written in Ogham. I've got that part figured out though :)

eachtraí or eachtránaí is okay,

eachtránái is more specific. It doesn't mean anything else but "adventurer".
eachtraí is often used for someone telling adventure stories.

So, I'd go for:
eachtránaí or eaċtránaí (in an Irish font) or eaċtránaiḋe in old spelling.

Are you sure about Ogham?
Ogham was used for a very different early version of Irish with different sounds and a different orthography. So it is quite nonsense for Modern Irish, I'd think.

BTW:
eachtraíochta means "of adventuring", "of adventure story-telling".

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018 6:29 pm 

That’s super helpful. Thanks Labhrás! My reasoning for Ogham has to do with the aesthetic (minimalistic) and my interests in archaeology and anthropology. I realize the sounds/spellings are different now compared to old Irish, but I want to play into my interests.
I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018 6:25 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
morenci wrote:
Hi there,

eachtraí or eachtránaí is okay,

eachtránái is more specific. It doesn't mean anything else but "adventurer".
eachtraí is often used for someone telling adventure stories.

So, I'd go for:
eachtránaí or eaċtránaí (in an Irish font) or eaċtránaiḋe in old spelling.

Are you sure about Ogham?
Ogham was used for a very different early version of Irish with different sounds and a different orthography. So it is quite nonsense for Modern Irish, I'd think.

BTW:
eachtraíochta means "of adventuring", "of adventure story-telling".

I can second Labhrás' response.

morenci wrote:
That’s super helpful. Thanks Labhrás! My reasoning for Ogham has to do with the aesthetic (minimalistic) and my interests in archaeology and anthropology. I realize the sounds/spellings are different now compared to old Irish, but I want to play into my interests.
I appreciate your help!

To do this, you kind of have to back-form the Old Irish form. There were a couple of people well-versed in Old Irish on the forum, though I don't know how active they are nowadays.

In my limited knowledge, ch, ph, and th were represented with h's in early Irish manuscripts, whereas sh and fh used a ponc, i.e., ṡ, ḟ, and all other lenition was ignored.

How lenition and long vowels were handled in ogham, I don't know.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018 6:47 pm 

Breandán wrote:

I don't know if lenition already had occured. At least it was not written, as well as long vowels.
In Early Irish, eachtránaí would probably have been something like: "ekst(e)ranideh", which sounds Greek to me ;)

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018 12:37 am 

Labhrás wrote:
Breandán wrote:

I don't know if lenition already had occured. At least it was not written, as well as long vowels.
In Early Irish, eachtránaí would probably have been something like: "ekst(e)ranideh", which sounds Greek to me ;)

Actually, I found an Old Irish version at eDIL with no síneadh to worry about:

echtraid "an adventurer, wanderer"

http://www.dil.ie/19566

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).