It is currently Sun 15 Sep 2019 10:19 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Ogham - text corpus?
PostPosted: Wed 23 May 2018 2:59 pm 

Hi all,

I recently wrote a computer program that transliterates between ogham and the roman alphabet.

I want to test it and evaluate its performance, however, I'm finding it tough to find any corpus of ogham-text parallel data. That is, text shown in both ogham and in roman text. It doesn't matter if it's just a picture of a stone with the marks visible, or actual unicode ogham characters. All I need is a reasonable number of examples where the text in roman script is a reliable transmission from the ogham (i.e. no mistakes). Also, it has to be an authentic ogham inscription, from a historical source. Not something written in ogham in the modern day.

If anybody knows of such a collection, a book that contains such comparisons, a website, or anywhere I could go to get them myself (eg. the stones in the hallways of University College Cork), I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you might have.

Adrian.

Post subject: Re: Ogham - text corpus?
PostPosted: Wed 23 May 2018 3:11 pm 

You might know about this already, but there are examples of it in the Book of Ballymote, but of course the transcription is in Irish.
https://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogham

Post subject: Re: Ogham - text corpus?
PostPosted: Wed 23 May 2018 3:27 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
You might know about this already, but there are examples of it in the Book of Ballymote, but of course the transcription is in Irish.
https://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogham

Thanks for the suggestion. Ballymote is a good call. I'm hoping to separate examples of sholastic ogham from orthodox ogham. That's part of the evaluation, to test if the program can automatically discern the difference. But it's the orthodox inscriptions I'm currently missing.