It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: A Story
PostPosted: Thu 24 May 2018 3:23 pm 

I was suprised to find this in Dinneen's Dictionary - Gírle Guairle. I've seen elsewhere that this would mean - A Stormy Storm - though I'm not at all sure that that would be right. This story must exist in Irish somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it. Has anyone heard it before or know anything about it?

Gírle Guairle - hurly-burly, confusion.

The word occurs also as the name of a woman in a folktale. A woman had a vast quantity of wool, flax srl., to spin and was at her wit's end to find time to do it, when a strange woman entered her house, and, on learning her perplexity, offered to take away the wool and flax, and return them in the shape of cloth, but would keep them herself in case the owner of the flax and wool did not remember her name when she returned. She departed, taking with her the flax and wool, and the other kept repeating the name Gírle Guairle, which she gave her. After some days she quite forgot the name, and remained for weeks in great distress, as she believed she had now lost her yarn for ever. One day, as she wandered by some lonely rath she heard the sound as of a woman spinning. As she spun she sang "Dá mbeadh fhios ag an mnaoi úd gur Gírle Guairle m'ainm, bheinn-se féin gan bréid gan anairt." The listener rejoiced to hear the long-lost name, and kept assiduously repeating it till the owner of it returned with the cloth. She welcomed the visitor by name, by saying " Dé do bheatha id' shláinte, a Ghírle Guairle" to which the other replied angrily, and, leaving the cloth behind her vanished.