It is currently Thu 19 Jul 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2018 12:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 14 Apr 2018 12:21 am
Posts: 7
Hello,
I'm looking for primarily the scottish translation of this, but that side of the forum doesn't seem as active. Can anyone give me an Irish (maybe scottish too) translation of the below phrase?

Sanctuary of the Winged Guardians

Thank you! <3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2018 9:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1353
MithraGoddess wrote:
Hello,
I'm looking for primarily the scottish translation of this, but that side of the forum doesn't seem as active. Can anyone give me an Irish (maybe scottish too) translation of the below phrase?

Sanctuary of the Winged Guardians

Thank you! <3


I just gave you a Gaelic translation in that forum. In Irish, you could say:

Tearmann na gcoimeádaithe sciathánacha

or, using a Latin loanword for "sanctuary":

Sanctóir na gcoimeádaithe sciathánacha

Actually, the word tèarmann will also work in the Gaelic version, in addition to what I gave you there, so I'll go back and indicate that.

Edited per the discussion below. I forgot that guardians was plural!

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 14 Apr 2018 9:49 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 876
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Tearmann na coimeádaí sciathánach


Tearmann na gCoimeádaithe Sciathánacha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr 2018 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 14 Apr 2018 12:21 am
Posts: 7
Thank you so much!

Would the translation change at all of the removal of "the"?

So:

Sanctuary of Winged Guardians


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr 2018 11:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1353
MithraGoddess wrote:
Thank you so much!

Would the translation change at all of the removal of "the"?
So:
Sanctuary of Winged Guardians

Yes, it would:
Tearmann Coimeádaithe Sciathánacha

But wait for Labhrás to respond, to be on the safe side (his Irish is much better than mine).

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018 2:17 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 876
CaoimhínSF wrote:
MithraGoddess wrote:
Thank you so much!

Would the translation change at all of the removal of "the"?
So:
Sanctuary of Winged Guardians

Yes, it would:
Tearmann Coimeádaithe Sciathánacha


:good:
But as a name I would use the form with the article.

CaoimhínSF wrote:
But wait for Labhrás to respond, to be on the safe side (his Irish is much better than mine).

:GRMA: ach ní fearr ach mo chuid gramadaí, b'fhéidir


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 14 Apr 2018 12:21 am
Posts: 7
Labhras,
Thank you.
Are you able to confirm Scottish Gaelic as well?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018 3:03 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 876
MithraGoddess wrote:
Labhras,
Thank you.
Are you able to confirm Scottish Gaelic as well?


No, I don't speak Scottish Gaelic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr 2018 3:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 14 Apr 2018 12:21 am
Posts: 7
Ok.
Thank you for the assistance. :toast:
Now I just need to study to learn how to say the phrase :clap:

Labhrás wrote:
MithraGoddess wrote:
Labhras,
Thank you.
Are you able to confirm Scottish Gaelic as well?


No, I don't speak Scottish Gaelic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr 2018 12:32 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 876
MithraGoddess wrote:
Ok.
Thank you for the assistance. :toast:
Now I just need to study to learn how to say the phrase :clap:


That's easy:

Tearmann na gCoimeádaithe Sciathánacha
"t(y)ar-muhn nuh gay-maw-d(y)uh-huh shkee-haw-nuh-khuh"

Here soundfiles:
https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/tearmann
https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/na
https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/coime%C3%A1da%C3%AD (last i shorter or "uh" + another "huh"; change /k/ -> /g/ in the beginning
https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/Sciath%C3%A1nach (+ "uh")


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Labhrás and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group