It is currently Sun 23 Sep 2018 6:46 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2018 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 05 Apr 2018 8:44 pm
Posts: 5
Hello, and thanks in advance for the assistance. A while back I inquired about this on another forum, and was thrilled to get some help. I delayed getting the tattoo, and now the site is gone.
What I am looking for apparently does not translate easily, so I'll explain my intent and go with the closest variant.
In the song "The Minstrel Boy" there is a line "one sword at least thy rights shall guard" and "one faithful harp shall praise thee".
If I recall, it was previously suggested to go with "to guard you" and "to praise you sweetly" (?) I hope to put each line on (2) tattoos of a sword, and a harp.
I appreciate your help, it is time to get these done.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2018 12:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1359
Glen Morris wrote:
Hello, and thanks in advance for the assistance. A while back I inquired about this on another forum, and was thrilled to get some help. I delayed getting the tattoo, and now the site is gone.
What I am looking for apparently does not translate easily, so I'll explain my intent and go with the closest variant.
In the song "The Minstrel Boy" there is a line "one sword at least thy rights shall guard" and "one faithful harp shall praise thee".
If I recall, it was previously suggested to go with "to guard you" and "to praise you sweetly" (?) I hope to put each line on (2) tattoos of a sword, and a harp.
I appreciate your help, it is time to get these done.

Your request is a bit confusing, but here's one way to say what I think you're asking for:

Chun do chearta a chosaint
[In order] to guard your rights

Chun tusa a mholadh go binn
[In order] to praise you sweetly

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2018 12:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 05 Apr 2018 8:44 pm
Posts: 5
I apologize for the confusion, and thank you for your response. If possible, I'd like the two phrases to translate as the song lyrics quoted ("thy rights shall guard" and "shall praise thee"), but I understand if it needs to be changed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2018 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1359
Glen Morris wrote:
I apologize for the confusion, and thank you for your response. If possible, I'd like the two phrases to translate as the song lyrics quoted ("thy rights shall guard" and "shall praise thee"), but I understand if it needs to be changed.

For it to make sense in Irish, I think you'll need to add a pronoun as the subject in each case, as in:

Cosnóidh sé do chearta.
It shall guard/defend your rights.

Molfaidh sé thú.
It shall praise you.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr 2018 10:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 1889
Location: 91 - France
But where are the sword and the harp, surely they must fit in here somewhere ?
Is this any good ?

Cosnóidh aon claíomh amháin do chearta ar a laghad.

Molfaidh aon cláirseach dhílis amháin thú.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 07 Apr 2018 4:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 05 Apr 2018 8:44 pm
Posts: 5
to clarify, the sword and harp would be pictured, as the tattoo. The words would be almost like labels for each.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2018 6:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 917
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Glen Morris wrote:
I apologize for the confusion, and thank you for your response. If possible, I'd like the two phrases to translate as the song lyrics quoted ("thy rights shall guard" and "shall praise thee"), but I understand if it needs to be changed.

For it to make sense in Irish, I think you'll need to add a pronoun as the subject in each case, as in:

Cosnóidh sé do chearta.
It shall guard/defend your rights.

Molfaidh sé thú.
It shall praise you.


A harp (cláirseach, cruit) is feminine in Irish, so "sé" (he) isn't the correct pronoun but "sí" (she).
Molfaidh sí thú.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 05 Apr 2018 8:44 pm
Posts: 5
Thank you all very much. I truly appreciate it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Apr 2018 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1359
Quote:
A harp (cláirseach, cruit) is feminine in Irish, so "sé" (he) isn't the correct pronoun but "sí" (she).
Molfaidh sí thú.

Yes, if the harp is being pictured such that it is clearly referenced, then the pronoun should change.

If you still want the "sweetly" part of it, you could use:
Molfaidh sí thú go binn

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2018 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 606
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
Sorry to jump in here late, but the Minstrel Boy has an Irish language version. I have heard it and sung it before.
I don't know if I can remember all of it but here is what I can recall:

Do thriall chun catha óglach na rann
i lár namhad Éireann ársa
Is lann a athair fáiscthe air go teann
In éineacht lena chláirseach

"A Thír na nDán!" arsa an laoch cheoil grinn
"Dá mbeadh an saol do do dhaoradh,
Tá aon chruit amháin le do mholadh go binn,
is aon lann amháin le do shaoradh!"

I guess I did remember it all, didn't I...

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Last edited by Cúmhaí on Wed 11 Apr 2018 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group