It is currently Sun 23 Sep 2018 6:03 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar 2018 5:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 30 Mar 2018 5:24 pm
Posts: 2
I am writing a mystery story and I really want to add a few phrases in Irish Gaelic since one of my main characters is a first-generation Irish-American. What I want to say is "He is not human. He does not feel." And I am using the "not human" in the sense of he is emotionless.
I have had Google Translate the sentences and got "Níl sé daonna. Ní bhraitheann sé." But I really want to double check the grammar and MOST IMPORTANT to me, that it is how a native speaker would say it. I know there are multiple ways of phrasing things based on the area of Ireland, and I really don't have a preference except maybe Standard Irish. If you need any clarification ask.
Please and thank you! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr 2018 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1359
KCguitarist wrote:
I am writing a mystery story and I really want to add a few phrases in Irish Gaelic since one of my main characters is a first-generation Irish-American. What I want to say is "He is not human. He does not feel." And I am using the "not human" in the sense of he is emotionless.
I have had Google Translate the sentences and got "Níl sé daonna. Ní bhraitheann sé." But I really want to double check the grammar and MOST IMPORTANT to me, that it is how a native speaker would say it. I know there are multiple ways of phrasing things based on the area of Ireland, and I really don't have a preference except maybe Standard Irish. If you need any clarification ask.
Please and thank you! :D

The word daonna means human, literally, so that's probably not a good choice for what you want, and the first clause is ungrammatical anyway. The second clause does literally mean "He does not feel", but it seems a bit stilted as a stand-alone expression, as though it lacks an object (and the verb mothaigh seems like a better choice for "feel" in this context), but here's a suggestion as to a brief way to say it:

Is anduine é.
He is inhuman.

Tá sé gan chroí.
He is without a heart. [This is a traditional way to say that someone is unfeeling]

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2018 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 606
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
Perhaps:
Ní neach daonna atá ann (It is not a human being that is in him, aka, that he is)

I like it, at least

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2018 6:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2660
Cúmhaí wrote:
Perhaps:
Ní neach daonna atá ann (It is not a human being that is in him, aka, that he is)

I like it, at least


I like it too. :D

Or even just: Níl sé daonna.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2018 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 30 Mar 2018 5:24 pm
Posts: 2
Thank you everyone for your advice. I can see that getting the translation just right might be a bit more difficult than I first thought. But I really want to include it, so I'm going to keep trying. Once it seems like any kind of consensus is reached on the phrasing, then that's what I'll use.
Thank you again. And if anyone has any questions or needs clarification please ask. I'll try my best to answer any questions to help get the best translation possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018 3:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 606
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
There is nothing wrong with any of these translations. It is just whatever you feel like.
I wouldn't say there is any need to wait for consensus, since there is no disagreement about any of the forms being correct or suitable
Really just pick whatever you fancy, maybe whatever looks nicest, because all suggested options are satisfactory

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1359
Cúmhaí wrote:
There is nothing wrong with any of these translations. It is just whatever you feel like.
I wouldn't say there is any need to wait for consensus, since there is no disagreement about any of the forms being correct or suitable
Really just pick whatever you fancy, maybe whatever looks nicest, because all suggested options are satisfactory

Agreed, although (as the first one who responded), I'd go with what Cumhaí suggested and Bríd seconded for the first part. Bríd's a native speaker, and even to my non-native ears it does sound very Irish in structure.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group