It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018 3:40 am 

A chairde,

I haven’t been here in some time. Ashamed to to say that for numerous reasons my Irish has been sitting on a shelf for the past four years. This is mostly due to hitting a hard spot in my learning; there are no learning groups around here, and my dear friend who was a native speaker moved back to Ireland. My Irish is all over the place (I’ve at least narrowed it down to wanting to focus on a Donegal / Gweedore dialect), and I felt like I didn’t know how to move forward at all beyond continuing to listen to RnaG a few times a week.

After a bit of debate I’ve decided to order Ó Donaill’s Gaeilge gan Stró and give that a try, and am going to revisit Speaking Irish: An Ghaeilge Bheo as well. In the meantime, while I try and find a DVD player for Speaking Irish and wait for the other to be delivered, I’m, however foolishly, diving head-first into book of short stories by Liam Ó Flaithearta that my native speaker friend gifted me a few years ago. If I can manage to get through the first one (Dúil) I’ll be thrilled.

Would be okay to post my progress on here and offer it up for correction? I have a sense of guilt over this because it seems very tedious and as if I’m asking a lot, but I could use some real help and don’t have anywhere else to turn for it. Only two paragraphs in and I’m already getting tripped up - but I’m really determined to get through this and use those trip-ups to learn things along the way.

Right now I’m using google docs for this. If it’s better for me to post it straight to the forum rather than linking to the document that’s fine too - just let me know.

Also - if anyone has any further suggestions, please let me know. (I’m saving all my pennies to do the immersion course at Oideas Gael next summer, fingers crossed!)

Here’s the small bit I have from this evening: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J53s8Hby8UuNInM6ied79P1bC_h-cteD7T74VLaXJgE/edit?usp=sharing

Go raibh míle míle míle maith agaibh as ucht bhur gcúnamh!

PostPosted: Tue 20 Mar 2018 8:19 am 

AnMarcach wrote:
diving head-first into book of short stories by Liam Ó Flaithearta that my native speaker friend gifted me a few years ago. If I can manage to get through the first one (Dúil) I’ll be thrilled.

I think there's an English translation of the Dúil stories in one of the three volumes of Liam O'Flaherty: the Collected Stories. Not sure. And that set of books isn't easy or cheap to get.

AnMarcach wrote:
Right now I’m using google docs for this. If it’s better for me to post it straight to the forum rather than linking to the document that’s fine too - just let me know.

One advantage of posting it directly here is that other learners will find it here in the future.

PostPosted: Wed 21 Mar 2018 2:01 am 

At Clubleabhar.com the book selection for April 2013 was ''Dúil''. If you register, there is an extensive vocabulary available. You will also have access to a number of book discussions which have been selected for the month.

PostPosted: Thu 29 Mar 2018 9:05 am 

Séamus, thanks for mentioning Clubleabhar.com! Looks like a great site.

The glossary for Dúil is a 34-page PDF! Very helpful for anyone reading the book. And they've got glossaries for a total of 83 books now.

PostPosted: Wed 11 Apr 2018 4:33 am 

I just looked at the first two sentences.

gach uile uair a chuala sé an torann binn a tháinig as a deis tar éis a craite.

every time he heard the sweet sound that came out of it after he shook it

"craite" is the genitive of "craitheadh" (to shake, modern spelling croitheadh)

okay I looked at a few more

shín sé é féin amach roimhe

he reached out before him

Everything else is correct. Regarding the dash, bear in mind this is not the modern spelling so there are no dashes. Also, "heann" should be "cheann" for sure. Are you reading a version with a modern font? I can't imagine how "c buailte" was mixed up with a héis

Anyway, there you go! Here I was thinking it was several pages!