It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 01 Mar 2018 5:14 pm 

Wow, this is complicated.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2018 1:23 am 

Esszet wrote:
I thought the very fact that it is always capitalized means that it is a proper noun, but even if you grant that, I see what you mean; Gaeltacht is not definite. While I'm here, is it feiceáil Seáin or Sheáin? I got way more results for labhairt Gaeilge than labhairt Ghaeilge, but I'd just like to make sure.

Just to show that it is even more complicated than what has been explained so far, here's a note that always appears in the Grammar Wizard at Teanglann:
Teanglann wrote:
NOTE When the definite article (na) is not present, generally the nominative is used instead of the genitive: ag lorg na Gaeilge maithe, le haghaidh na Gaeilge maithe but ag lorg Gaeilge mhaith, le haghaidh Gaeilge mhaith.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug 2018 2:47 am 

Apparently, that's only when the noun is given a further attribute ("Use of the Genitive" under "The Cases" in chapter 1).

Agus dhá éiscint fhicid ar riail gramadaí...

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:58 am 

Gaeilge is also an interesting word in that the article is also often used in the genitive.

Searching for:
labhairt na Gaeilge turns up 495 results;
ag labhairt na Gaeilge 45

labhairt Gaeilge 101
ag labhairt Gaeilge 94

labhairt Ghaeilge 4
ag labhairt Ghaeilge 4

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018 1:26 am 

Come to think of it, there probably aren’t a lot of definite proper nouns that can be used both with and without the definite article, so the case of Gaeilge may be pretty marginal from a grammatical point of view. Gaeilge itself is extremely common, of course, but I doubt there are a lot of others.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 7:08 pm 

As an example of how Gaeilge can be indefinite, consider the language Gaeilge na hAlban. Anyway, this is fascinating. Thank you for asking the question!

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2018 2:23 pm 

It’s fine, but do you mean it can be used to refer to Gaelic languages in general? Gaeilge na hAlban is a definite noun (it’s a specific language), and Gaeilge by itself seems to usually mean Irish.