It is currently Mon 25 Jun 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb 2018 5:10 pm 

Looking for a translation for "Home of my Soul" in Irish Gaelic.
Something like "Baile Na m'anam" ? or just "Baile m'anam"?

Is that even close to correct? Not looking for "soul mate". I'm describing a place, not a person.

Thanks very much.

Charles

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb 2018 12:22 am 

charlesdgunsten wrote:

Is that even close to correct? Not looking for "soul mate". I'm describing a place, not a person.

Thanks very much.

Charles

Grammatically, it would be "baile m'anama", with anam in the genitive case ("of my soul"). The word baile can mean "home", but doesn't necessarily have all of the same nuances as the English word. Still, I can't think of any other way to say what you want that doesn't either sound awkward or alter the meaning. If including the word "soul" isn't critical, you could use the expression "mo dhúchas". The word dúchas has meanings along the lines of one's native place, hereditary homeland, etc. I suppose you could say "dúchas m'anama". That might be seen as a bit redundant, although I guess not everyone feels that their soul is attached to their homeland.

PostPosted: Sat 10 Feb 2018 2:27 pm 

Thanks very much. Yes the place I'm referring to is not my ancestral home. I appreciate your help!

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb 2018 6:04 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
charlesdgunsten wrote:

Thanks very much.

Charles

Grammatically, it would be "baile m'anama", with anam in the genitive case ("of my soul"). The word baile can mean "home", but doesn't necessarily have all of the same nuances as the English word. Still, I can't think of any other way to say what you want that doesn't either sound awkward or alter the meaning. If including the word "soul" isn't critical, you could use the expression "mo dhúchas". The word dúchas has meanings along the lines of one's native place, hereditary homeland, etc. I suppose you could say "dúchas m'anama". That might be seen as a bit redundant, although I guess not everyone feels that their soul is attached to their homeland.

I wonder if "Place" (áit) would suit here? Áit m'Anama

Redwolf