It is currently Sat 20 Jan 2018 11:11 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2018 8:18 pm 

I'm looking for the correct translation for "Be True", as in To Thine Own Self Be True context. But I've received two different words for True

1) dílis - which I've been told actually means as in "faithful" but is the right context

and

2) fíor - which I think is more "It's True" and doesn't seem to be the right context

I was given the full statement translation of, Bí dílis duit féin, years ago which I was told broke down like this:

Bí = Be (imperative, addressed to one person)
Dílis = "true" (as in "faithful")
Duit = to-you (singular) It's a prepositional pronoun...a form that doesn't exist in English, but that is absolutely necessary in Irish.
Féin = self

However, I only want to use "Be True" and be sure I've got the right context for True.

I'd really appreciate anyone help me with what's the right translation for the context I'm looking for?

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2018 11:32 pm 

realta11 wrote:
I'm looking for the correct translation for "Be True", as in To Thine Own Self Be True context. But I've received two different words for True

1) dílis - which I've been told actually means as in "faithful" but is the right context

and

2) fíor - which I think is more "It's True" and doesn't seem to be the right context

I was given the full statement translation of, Bí dílis duit féin, years ago which I was told broke down like this:

Bí = Be (imperative, addressed to one person)
Dílis = "true" (as in "faithful")
Duit = to-you (singular) It's a prepositional pronoun...a form that doesn't exist in English, but that is absolutely necessary in Irish.
Féin = self

However, I only want to use "Be True" and be sure I've got the right context for True.

I'd really appreciate anyone help me with what's the right translation for the context I'm looking for?

Bí dílis works for what you want. It could also mean "be faithful", but the same ambiguity is arguably there in the English version of the expression.