It is currently Wed 17 Oct 2018 11:28 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 09 Dec 2017 3:31 am 

hey all, needing some help for a translation for my tattoo. thanks in advance!

im a guy so i prefer to have masculine translations, or the male translation.

translation of "life" -----looking for "life" as it refers to living and the cycle of life(maybe living life to the fullest if that is an option)

translation of "loyalty"-----looking for "loyalty" as it refers to family, relationships, as an example, my loyalty to loved ones and family/kin

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec 2017 12:16 am 

O'LearySJR wrote:

translation of "life" -----looking for "life" as it refers to living and the cycle of life(maybe living life to the fullest if that is an option)

translation of "loyalty"-----looking for "loyalty" as it refers to family, relationships, as an example, my loyalty to loved ones and family/kin

There are no gender differences to deal with in what you're requesting.

Your best choice for "life" as you explained it would be beatha. In Irish (unlike English) it would be more customary to say "an bheatha" (literally: "the life") if you were using it in a sentence, but beatha is sufficient as a stand-alone word.

There are several words which can be used for "loyalty" in various contexts, but I'd say that dílseacht is the best choice for what you want. Note the accent over the "i".

PostPosted: Sun 10 Dec 2017 1:21 am 

Thats awesome, thanks for all the great information! will wait for a second and third before i start the ink:)

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec 2017 2:44 am 

dí lseacht , a Kev :)

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017 11:26 pm 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
O'LearySJR wrote:

There are no gender differences to deal with in what you're requesting.

Your best choice for "life" as you explained it would be beatha. In Irish (unlike English) it would be more customary to say "an bheatha" (literally: "the life") if you were using it in a sentence, but beatha is sufficient as a stand-alone word.

There are several words which can be used for "loyalty" in various contexts, but I'd say that dílseacht is the best choice for what you want. Note the accent over the "i".

I can second these.

Also, to clarify the masculine/feminine thing, all Irish nouns are gendered in the grammatical sense, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether they're applied to males or females. My favorite example is that the word for "stallion" in Irish is feminine and word for "girl" is grammatically masculine!

Redwolf

PostPosted: Tue 19 Dec 2017 9:38 pm 

How funny, that both of these words are feminine. Although obviously it is not important.