It is currently Fri 24 Nov 2017 7:23 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Help needed!!!!
PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov 2017 3:02 pm 

Hi there. New to the forum and in need of a bit of help please!!!!. I studied Irish at school many years ago but my grasp of it now is patchy to say the least!!! Problem being, I have got a 20th Anniversary of a society coming up next month and want to introduce the evening in a few words in Irish and I am beginning to panic!!!!. Can anyone help?

What I want to say is, "A very warm welcome along to everyone tonight in what is our 20th Anniversary year, it is good to see so many familiar faces amongst the crowd tonight for what should be an enjoyable evening". That's all I need to say!!! Much appreciate if anyone can help. Kind regards, Broony

Post subject: Re: Help needed!!!!
PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov 2017 5:00 pm 

Broony wrote:
Hi there. New to the forum and in need of a bit of help please!!!!. I studied Irish at school many years ago but my grasp of it now is patchy to say the least!!! Problem being, I have got a 20th Anniversary of a society coming up next month and want to introduce the evening in a few words in Irish and I am beginning to panic!!!!. Can anyone help?

What I want to say is, "A very warm welcome along to everyone tonight in what is our 20th Anniversary year, it is good to see so many familiar faces amongst the crowd tonight for what should be an enjoyable evening". That's all I need to say!!! Much appreciate if anyone can help. Kind regards, Broony

Tá céad míle fáilte roimh chuile dhuine chuig ár gceiliúradh fiche bliain. Is breá liom an oiread sin daoine a aithneachtáil sa gcomhluadar anocht. Beidh oíche bhreá againn.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017 12:52 am 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
Tá céad míle fáilte roimh chuile dhuine chuig ár gceiliúradh fiche bliain. Is breá liom an oiread sin daoine a aithneachtáil sa gcomhluadar anocht. Beidh oíche bhreá againn.

This is great and you should absolutely use this exactly as it appears.

But if for some horrible reason you need to use the standard (Caighdeán Oifigiúil) then it would be:
Tá céad míle fáilte roimh gach uile dhuine chuig ár gceiliúradh fiche bliain. Is breá liom an oiread sin daoine a aithint sa chomhluadar anocht. Beidh oíche bhreá againn.

This is my attempt. I am not an expert of the Caighdeán Oifigiúil so could have missed something or made a mistake.

Like I said it is much better to speak using the original version Bríd Mhór has provided, which is as a speaker of Conamara would say it, as opposed to the CO, which is as a pedant would say it.

Ádh mór le bhur gceiliúradh!

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017 4:05 pm 

Many thanks for your help Bríd Mhór and Cúmhaí, much appreciated.

Having difficulty pronouncing the following:

dhuine
gceiliúradh
daoine
aithneachtáil
gcomhluadar
againn.

Any suggestions or pointers in how they would sound in English (if that makes sense!!!!)

Many thanks

Broony

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017 4:39 pm 

Try these two resources:

forvo.com (Bríd Mhór has an account there and makes wonderful recordings)

http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php?lang=eng (you can put in a whole sentence and it will synthesize it pretty decently)

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov 2017 10:18 pm 

Cúmhaí wrote:
forvo.com (Bríd Mhór has an account there and makes wonderful recordings)

:GRMA: Go always make my day Cúmhaí ;)

I made a recording of the whole thing here:
https://app.box.com/s/3wnrmk93svuosnbbwzvakf7o76qr1vet
Sorry if it's a bit loud.