It is currently Fri 24 Nov 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08 Sep 2017 9:44 pm
Posts: 31
I wanted to say 'there is only one in me" I know you can say "ní ionamsa ach amháin" but I wanted to know if "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would be it correct as well? It's for a poem and the second one sounds much better in it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 3:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 450
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
An Sionnach Glic wrote:
I wanted to say 'there is only one in me" I know you can say "ní ionamsa ach amháin" but I wanted to know if "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would be it correct as well? It's for a poem and the second one sounds much better in it


you are missing a word here -- as there is no object in your sentence! "amháin" means "only" and must be with a noun to have the meaning "only one X"
In cases where the noun is not specified, we can use "ceann" -- "níl ionam ach ceann amháin"

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08 Sep 2017 9:44 pm
Posts: 31
Cúmhaí wrote:
An Sionnach Glic wrote:
I wanted to say 'there is only one in me" I know you can say "ní ionamsa ach amháin" but I wanted to know if "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would be it correct as well? It's for a poem and the second one sounds much better in it


you are missing a word here -- as there is no object in your sentence! "amháin" means "only" and must be with a noun to have the meaning "only one X"
In cases where the noun is not specified, we can use "ceann" -- "níl ionam ach ceann amháin"

thanks for the reply.

But if I said "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would that be completely incorrect or could it be something along the lines "there's only in me"? how about if i said "níl ach rud/duine amháin ionamsa" could that mean "there's is only one thing/person inside of me"?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1252
Quote:
how about if i said "níl ach rud/duine amháin ionamsa" could that mean "there's is only one thing/person inside of me"?


Yes, that should work, although adding the "aon" in front of the "rud" or "duine" sounds a bit better. Also, making the last word emphatic is like saying in English "there's is only one thing/person inside of ME!" (emphasizing me, as opposed to anyone else). You could use just "ionam".

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 450
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
An Sionnach Glic wrote:
But if I said "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would that be completely incorrect or could it be something along the lines "there's only in me"?


I am not sure what you mean here. In my eyes "there's only in me" is completely incorrect. LOL So... what is the difference between these two options?

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 450
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
Maybe what you were thinking of is

ach amháin ionamsa
meaning "in me only"

for example
(ní) ach amháin ionamsa atá an slaghdán ag dul i fhostú
meaning "only my cold is becoming chronic (and everyone else is recovering)"

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 9:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 08 Sep 2017 9:44 pm
Posts: 31
Thanks caoimhinsf and cumhai.

[ Also, making the last word emphatic is like saying in English "there's is only one thing/person inside of ME!" (emphasizing me, as opposed to anyone else). You could use just "ionam".[/quote]

This is for a poem where I do want to make an emphasize on "me" so it works


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group