It is currently Fri 24 Nov 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 05 Nov 2017 7:16 pm 

I wanted to say 'there is only one in me" I know you can say "ní ionamsa ach amháin" but I wanted to know if "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would be it correct as well? It's for a poem and the second one sounds much better in it

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 3:49 am 

An Sionnach Glic wrote:
I wanted to say 'there is only one in me" I know you can say "ní ionamsa ach amháin" but I wanted to know if "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would be it correct as well? It's for a poem and the second one sounds much better in it

you are missing a word here -- as there is no object in your sentence! "amháin" means "only" and must be with a noun to have the meaning "only one X"
In cases where the noun is not specified, we can use "ceann" -- "níl ionam ach ceann amháin"

PostPosted: Mon 06 Nov 2017 7:30 pm 

Cúmhaí wrote:
An Sionnach Glic wrote:

you are missing a word here -- as there is no object in your sentence! "amháin" means "only" and must be with a noun to have the meaning "only one X"
In cases where the noun is not specified, we can use "ceann" -- "níl ionam ach ceann amháin"

thanks for the reply.

But if I said "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would that be completely incorrect or could it be something along the lines "there's only in me"? how about if i said "níl ach rud/duine amháin ionamsa" could that mean "there's is only one thing/person inside of me"?

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 7:41 pm 

Quote:
how about if i said "níl ach rud/duine amháin ionamsa" could that mean "there's is only one thing/person inside of me"?

Yes, that should work, although adding the "aon" in front of the "rud" or "duine" sounds a bit better. Also, making the last word emphatic is like saying in English "there's is only one thing/person inside of ME!" (emphasizing me, as opposed to anyone else). You could use just "ionam".

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 8:10 pm 

An Sionnach Glic wrote:
But if I said "níl ach amháin ionamsa" would that be completely incorrect or could it be something along the lines "there's only in me"?

I am not sure what you mean here. In my eyes "there's only in me" is completely incorrect. LOL So... what is the difference between these two options?

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 8:12 pm 

Maybe what you were thinking of is

ach amháin ionamsa
meaning "in me only"

for example
(ní) ach amháin ionamsa atá an slaghdán ag dul i fhostú
meaning "only my cold is becoming chronic (and everyone else is recovering)"

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov 2017 9:58 pm 

Thanks caoimhinsf and cumhai.

[ Also, making the last word emphatic is like saying in English "there's is only one thing/person inside of ME!" (emphasizing me, as opposed to anyone else). You could use just "ionam".[/quote]

This is for a poem where I do want to make an emphasize on "me" so it works