It is currently Wed 22 Nov 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct 2017 10:24 pm 

Thanks to CaoimhínSF and An Sionnach Glic for their translations that has gotten this off to a great start!

Since I cannot edit the original post, here is the first updated follow up post. I have added numbers in curly brackets that denote how many people have confirmed of the preferred three.

#1 The Garden
It sounds like he’s mumbling a blessing over the freshly planted potatoes.
#1: “Mo ghrá, mo chroí” (My love, my heart) {1}

#2 The Mob
2.A:
2.B: “Sin é anois” (That’s it now) {1}
2.C: “Beidh sé a’ ghoil i bhfad timpeall, a’ ghoil i bhad timpeall na tíre” (He will be going all around, all around the country) {2}
2.D: “Dé Luain” (Monday) {1}
2.E: “Íochtaigh ár gcíos” or “Isligh ár gcíos.” (Lower our rent) {1}

#3 Irish Names.
3.A: Brian Maher {1}
3.B: Boyle MacFadden {2}
3.C: Pat Gallaher {2}
3.D: Joe Gallaher {2}
3.E: The O’Donnells {2}
3.F: John Duffy {2}
3.G: Fitheal O’Loughrey {1}
3.H: Kelly ????

#4 Maeve sees Michael
#4: “Oh, Micín” (Oh, Mikey) {1}

#5 Bringing Michael Home
5.A: “Go ndéana Dia trócaire orainn go léir” (May God have mercy on us all.) {1}
5.B: “A Mhaicín” (Oh, my little son) {1}
5.C: “Chonaic mé ar an ______, in Éirinn aobhinn, ach ó-ó-ó, agus ó-ó-ó, go _____” (I saw the ______ in blissful/beautiful Ireland, but o-o-o and o-o-o, ____) {1}
5.D: “Fág slán leis na sleibhte 's na habhainnte” (Take leave of the mountains and the rivers) {1}
5.E: “Fág slán leis an trá 's an fharraige” (Take leave of the beach and the sea) {1}
5.F: “Fág slán leis na craobh 's na blathanna san aer” (Take leave of the tree and the blossoms in the air) {1}
5.G: “Siúl trasna an tuiscint” (Walk beyond understanding) {1}
5.H: “Siúl go himeall an domhain” (Walk to the edge of the earth) {1}
5.I: “Slán, a ghrá” (Goodbye, my love) {1}
5.J: “Teigh go thaobh [na] croiche” (Go to the side of the cross) {1}

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct 2017 11:28 pm 

I fixed just a couple of things, including a typo of my own in the original (missing letter "h"). I'm a moderator, so I was able to make the changes inside your post, rather than repeat it all again.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Oct 2017 11:38 pm 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
I fixed just a couple of things, including a typo of my own in the original (missing letter "h"). I'm a moderator, so I was able to make the changes inside your post, rather than repeat it all again.
Thank you very much. I'm sure that comes in handy quite a bit.

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2017 4:22 pm 

The first and second episodes (four total) of "The Hanging Gale" are available for viewing now. Subtitles not included yet.

The Hanging Gale episode 1
The Hanging Gale episode 2

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2017 7:27 pm 

I have just listened to your video.

2.A
tabhair ar ais é (give it back!)
fan amach uaidh (stay away from him!)

3.H
to me it sounded like "the Kellys at Greelow"
but idk never heard of greelow or anything

5.C
didn't catch the first blank,
second seemed to be "agus ó go leor" (and many ohs)
and then after that she says "agus é áí a Mhuire" (and eh ay, o Mary)
at least it seemed to me. the random keening sounds i don't know how to spell maybe é áí is not right

5.F
What I heard here is "crainn" not "craobh" -- crainn meaning 'trees' and craobh meaning 'a branch'

PostPosted: Fri 27 Oct 2017 10:02 pm 

Quote:
2.A
fan amach uaidh (stay away from him!)

Very good hearing! Now that you've said it, I do hear the ar ais part, and also very clearly the Fan amach uaidh!. However, I think he's saying "Ar ais!" with the meaning of "Get back!" In fact, I can almost hear "Ar ais libh", or "Get back, you all!". I also hear the word sinn ("we/us") in there, but I can't tell in what context.

Quote:
What I heard here is "crainn" not "craobh" -- crainn meaning 'trees' and craobh meaning 'a branch'

Again, good catch as to the final sound. I don't know why I didn't hear the "n" at the end, because it's very clear now that you've mentioned it (my hearing is going a bit as I get older). The word craobh can also mean tree, by the way, and is often used poetically that way, and that seemed to go with the sounds I heard and the poetic context. Even though I agree about the "n" sound at the end, I'm not sure about crainn. The meaning would be right and the grammar, too, but what he says is more like "khree-un". Since there are several other out-of-the ordinary plurals which I think I hear, another possibility is craoibhín. That would normally mean "little branch(es)" (or tree[s]'), but it might be a dialectical term for "trees", and it's exactly what I hear now (he elides all of his internal "bh" sounds into diphthongs).

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017 4:29 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Very good hearing! Now that you've said it, I do hear the ar ais part, and also very clearly the Fan amach uaidh!. However, I think he's saying "Ar ais!" with the meaning of "Get back!" In fact, I can almost hear "Ar ais libh", or "Get back, you all!". I also hear the word sinn ("we/us") in there, but I can't tell in what context.

Perhaps. Perhaps I will listen again!

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Again, good catch as to the final sound. I don't know why I didn't hear the "n" at the end, because it's very clear now that you've mentioned it (my hearing is going a bit as I get older). The word craobh can also mean tree, by the way, and is often used poetically that way, and that seemed to go with the sounds I heard and the poetic context. Even though I agree about the "n" sound at the end, I'm not sure about crainn. The meaning would be right and the grammar, too, but what he says is more like "khree-un". Since there are several other out-of-the ordinary plurals which I think I hear, another possibility is craoibhín. That would normally mean "little branch(es)" (or tree[s]'), but it might be a dialectical term for "trees", and it's exactly what I hear now (he elides all of his internal "bh" sounds into diphthongs).

I am not sure what you mean -- the word "crainn" is pronounced just like you said. like "khree-un"
The vowel sound is the same as in "craobh"
Maybe you are thinking of another dialect? This is Conamara

Last edited by Cúmhaí on Mon 30 Oct 2017 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017 4:36 am 

I have just listened to 2.A again. I did not hear anything like "libh" but obviously it is not exactly clear! haha
I still think it sounds like "tiúr ar ais" (give back) or if not that perhaps "teara ar ais" (come back)
(both of these spellings are Conamara dialect spellings, just to make it more obvious how it sounds like these words, standard would be "tabhair" and "tar")
One thing is --- I heard that there is a fourth line that I missed before which is
fan ansin (stay there)

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct 2017 7:27 pm 

Fiddlestix wrote:
#1 The Garden

#2 The Mob
2.A:
2.B: “Sin é anois” (That’s it now) {1}
2.C: “Beidh sé a’ ghoil i bhfad timpeall, a’ ghoil i bhad timpeall na tíre” (He will be going all around, all around the country) {2}
2.D: “Dé Luain” (Monday) {1}
2.E: “Íochtaigh ár gcíos” or “Isligh ár gcíos.” (Lower our rent) {1}

#3 Irish Names.
3.G: Fitheal O’Loughrey {1}
3.H: Kelly ????

#4 Maeve sees Michael
#4: “Oh, Micín” (Oh, Mikey) {1}

#5 Bringing Michael Home
5.A: “Go ndéana Dia trócaire orainn go léir” (May God have mercy on us all.) {1}
5.B: “A Mhaicín” (Oh, my little son) {1}
5.C: “Chonaic mé ar an ______, in Éirinn aobhinn, ach ó-ó-ó, agus ó-ó-ó, go _____” (I saw the ______ in blissful/beautiful Ireland, but o-o-o and o-o-o, ____) {1}
5.D: “Fág slán leis na sleibhte 's na habhainnte” (Take leave of the mountains and the rivers) {1}
5.E: “Fág slán leis an trá 's an fharraige” (Take leave of the beach and the sea) {1}
5.F: “Fág slán leis na craobh 's na blathanna san aer” (Take leave of the tree and the blossoms in the air) {1}

#1 The Garden
Does he say "i n-ainm an athair" first? I'm not sure. Then “Mo ghrá, mo chroí, mo chairaid”

#2 The Mob
2.A: .... anseo !, Fán amach uaidh! Teigh ar ais ! Fan ansin!
2.B: “Sin é anois” (That’s it now) {1} Yes
2.C: “Beidh sé a’ ghoil i bhfad timpeall, a’ ghoil i bhad timpeall na tíre” (He will be going all around, all around the country) {2} Beidh sé ag gabháil timpeall, beidh sé ag gabháil timpeall na tithe. He will be going around to the houses.
2.D: “Dé Luain” (Monday) {1} yes
2.E: “Íochtaigh ár gcíos” or “Isligh ár gcíos.” (Lower our rent) {1}"Tabhair cabhair dúinn" “Isligh an cíos.”

#3 Irish Names.
3.G: Fitheal O’Loughrey {1} Friel I think
3.H: Kelly ???? I haven't a clue

#4 Maeve sees Michael
#4: “Oh, Micín” (Oh, Mikey) {1} Yes

#5 Bringing Michael Home
I don't know what the tall man says first. Then the women: Go ndíona Dia trocaire ar anam na marbh. Go ndíona Dia trocaire orainn go lear.
5.B: “A Mhaicín” (Oh, my little son) {1} mo mhaicín
You could be totally correct Caoimhín I can't make it out. But I think I hear some words that sound like: Chonaic mé... inné ar an n-d.... ó chón agus ó chón ó.
"Muire" is mentioned too

I find him very hard to understand

PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct 2017 12:23 am 

Quote:
I find him very hard to understand

I'm so glad you said that, a Bhríd. It's good to know that even a native speaker had some trouble with it. I'm assuming that it's some Ulster dialect I've never heard before (or maybe some dialect that has died out). For the sentences beginning with "Fág slán ...", at first all i could hear for the first word was something like "Bág", but when I thought about the context I realized he had to be saying something like "farewell", and then "fág slán" suddenly sprang to mind. Once I thought about that, I could actually hear it.

The same with "abhainnte". At first I had no idea what he was saying, then I though about the context, and realized that it was probably rivers. That, and the way that he pronounces internal diphthongs with the "bh" combo, made abhainnte seem likely, although I've never seen that as a plural form. Perhaps in that dialect it is used by analogy to sleibhte.

Quote:
Go ndíona Dia trocaire ar anam na marbh. Go ndíona Dia trocaire orainn go lear.

For the original poster, what Bríd gave you here has the following meaning:

Go ndíona Dia trocaire ar anam na marbh.
May God have mercy on the soul of the dead [person].
I'm assuming that Bríd's "go ndíona" is Conamara dialect for the "standard" go ndéana.

The second sentence is what I gave you (for the final word, the standard spelling is "léir").