It is currently Sun 19 Nov 2017 12:26 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017 2:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 06 Oct 2017 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
Hi All,

I've been living in Ireland for a few years now, and the overall experience has been amazing. I've been able to connect with family that I haven't seen in years, and with others that I have never met before.

I am moving back home to the USA in December (very bittersweet) but would love to get a great quote by James Joyce as a tattoo, but want to make sure I get the right translation.

The quote is: "
Quote:
When I die, Dublin will be written in my heart
".

Could anyone help me with the translation?? Thank you!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017 2:48 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 715
hogannick wrote:
Hi All,

I've been living in Ireland for a few years now, and the overall experience has been amazing. I've been able to connect with family that I haven't seen in years, and with others that I have never met before.

I am moving back home to the USA in December (very bittersweet) but would love to get a great quote by James Joyce as a tattoo, but want to make sure I get the right translation.

The quote is: "
Quote:
When I die, Dublin will be written in my heart
".

Could anyone help me with the translation?? Thank you!!


Nuair a chaillfear mé, ...
or
Nuair a gheobhaidh mé bás, ...
..., beidh Baile Átha Cliath scríofa i mo chroí istigh.


Last edited by Labhrás on Fri 06 Oct 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 06 Oct 2017 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
Labhrás wrote:
hogannick wrote:
Hi All,

I've been living in Ireland for a few years now, and the overall experience has been amazing. I've been able to connect with family that I haven't seen in years, and with others that I have never met before.

I am moving back home to the USA in December (very bittersweet) but would love to get a great quote by James Joyce as a tattoo, but want to make sure I get the right translation.

The quote is: "
Quote:
When I die, Dublin will be written in my heart
".

Could anyone help me with the translation?? Thank you!!


Nuair a chaillfear mé, ...
or
Nuair a gheobhaidh mé bás, ...
..., beidh Baile Átha Cliath scríofa i mo chrói istigh.




Thank you so much!! :clap: :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017 4:06 pm 
Online

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 715
hogannick wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
hogannick wrote:
Hi All,

I've been living in Ireland for a few years now, and the overall experience has been amazing. I've been able to connect with family that I haven't seen in years, and with others that I have never met before.

I am moving back home to the USA in December (very bittersweet) but would love to get a great quote by James Joyce as a tattoo, but want to make sure I get the right translation.

The quote is: "
Quote:
When I die, Dublin will be written in my heart
".

Could anyone help me with the translation?? Thank you!!


Nuair a chaillfear mé, ...
or
Nuair a gheobhaidh mé bás, ...
..., beidh Baile Átha Cliath scríofa i mo chrói istigh.




Thank you so much!! :clap: :D


correction: ... chroí ...

Wait for confirmations.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017 4:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 06 Oct 2017 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
Labhrás wrote:
hogannick wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
hogannick wrote:
Hi All,

I've been living in Ireland for a few years now, and the overall experience has been amazing. I've been able to connect with family that I haven't seen in years, and with others that I have never met before.

I am moving back home to the USA in December (very bittersweet) but would love to get a great quote by James Joyce as a tattoo, but want to make sure I get the right translation.

The quote is: "
Quote:
When I die, Dublin will be written in my heart
".

Could anyone help me with the translation?? Thank you!!


Nuair a chaillfear mé, ...
or
Nuair a gheobhaidh mé bás, ...
..., beidh Baile Átha Cliath scríofa i mo chrói istigh.




Thank you so much!! :clap: :D


correction: ... chroí ...

Wait for confirmations.


Fantastic! Thank you for the clarification. 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 06 Oct 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 07 Feb 2015 11:24 am
Posts: 438
Location: Baile Mhic Ghoilla Eoin, VA
This may be a ridiculous question,
But do you mean that when you die, they will find that on your heart "Dublin" was written?
Or that when you die they will write "Dublin" on your heart?

Labhrás's translation (to my understanding) reflects the first of these two options.

_________________
ЯГОН ТОҶИК НЕСТ ИНҶО???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 07 Oct 2017 8:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 06 Oct 2017 2:21 pm
Posts: 4
Cúmhaí wrote:
This may be a ridiculous question,
But do you mean that when you die, they will find that on your heart "Dublin" was written?
Or that when you die they will write "Dublin" on your heart?

Labhrás's translation (to my understanding) reflects the first of these two options.


It's a quote by James Joyce, and the way I interpret the original meaning in English is that it should be the first option as well.

Thank you :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Labhrás and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group