It is currently Thu 19 Oct 2017 12:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jul 2017 6:58 pm 

My Grandfather always used to tell me to hustle in life no matter how bad things got always work hard, with that in mind I am wanting to get the word "hustle" as a tattoo in ogham, after looking online I've seen a few different types of alphabets and the end image looks different depending on where you got the alphabet from. would someone be able to help me translate it please.

Thanks very much!

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jul 2017 11:37 pm 

rainman wrote:
My Grandfather always used to tell me to hustle in life no matter how bad things got always work hard, with that in mind I am wanting to get the word "hustle" as a tattoo in ogham, after looking online I've seen a few different types of alphabets and the end image looks different depending on where you got the alphabet from. would someone be able to help me translate it please.

Thanks very much!

Hi rainman!

Ogham isn't a language, it's a phonetic writing system based on Primitive Irish, but also used to write Old Irish, Welsh, and Latin. Here's a good article on the subject:

http://gaelic.co/ogham/

So first you need to decide if you want "hustle" in English or Irish. Translations to Irish are what we do here.

Some people here do have an interest in Ogham, and may be able to help you whatever you decide.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul 2017 9:31 pm 

H, thanks for your response Redwolf. What I am wanting is the word in English to Ogham, hoping someone can help me as after looking online I've seen a few different outcomes for the same design so want it to be the correct one, I saw a few people have asked similar things and was looking fo the same advice.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jul 2017 5:09 am 

rainman wrote:
H, thanks for your response Redwolf. What I am wanting is the word in English to Ogham, hoping someone can help me as after looking online I've seen a few different outcomes for the same design so want it to be the correct one, I saw a few people have asked similar things and was looking fo the same advice.

Thanks.

The one thing I do know is you'll have to spell it phonetically. Perhaps something like "hussul." Beyond that, I know very little about Ogham.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017 11:54 am 

ᚆᚒᚄᚈᚂᚓ

This is what I believed to be the word ‘Hustle’ from English to Ogham. Could anyone confirm if this is correct please.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jul 2017 3:48 pm 

You have written it out with English letters. If someone were to read it out loud it would be like "HOOS-tlay"
If this is what you intend, it seems alright. If you want it to be phonetic, it would not be right.

I am not an ogham expert. Wait for the opinion of others.