It is currently Tue 22 Aug 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Tattoo help please!? :)
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017 7:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 19 Jan 2017 1:26 pm
Posts: 15
I'm sorry to bother you all again but I have been having a few long conversations with my husband about my tattoo and after thinking on it for a few months I decided he was right.

A couple of months ago I posted a thread for a tattoo translation (I'll try to delete it now so as not to clutter your forum).
English: "My pulse/heart, my son, my darling/treasure"
Irish Gaelic: "Mo chuisle, mo mhac, mo stóirín"

But as I want a tattoo that I can expand on if we have any more children I decided that that line simply isn't suitable.

Could you perhaps help me adjust it? I want something along the lines of:
"My heartbeat, my treasure(s), my children." In traditional font.
Or if you think you have a better suggestion, I'm open to that.

Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome! :good:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017 7:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 19 Jan 2017 1:26 pm
Posts: 15
Apparently I cannot delete my old post, sorry! :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 648
Naeara wrote:
I'm sorry to bother you all again but I have been having a few long conversations with my husband about my tattoo and after thinking on it for a few months I decided he was right.

A couple of months ago I posted a thread for a tattoo translation (I'll try to delete it now so as not to clutter your forum).
English: "My pulse/heart, my son, my darling/treasure"
Irish Gaelic: "Mo chuisle, mo mhac, mo stóirín"

But as I want a tattoo that I can expand on if we have any more children I decided that that line simply isn't suitable.

Could you perhaps help me adjust it? I want something along the lines of:
"My heartbeat, my treasure(s), my children." In traditional font.
Or if you think you have a better suggestion, I'm open to that.

Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome! :good:


Just replace mhac by chlann:

Mo chuisle, mo chlann, mo stór

Mo ċuisle, mo ċlann, mo stór


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017 7:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3318
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Labhrás wrote:
Naeara wrote:
I'm sorry to bother you all again but I have been having a few long conversations with my husband about my tattoo and after thinking on it for a few months I decided he was right.

A couple of months ago I posted a thread for a tattoo translation (I'll try to delete it now so as not to clutter your forum).
English: "My pulse/heart, my son, my darling/treasure"
Irish Gaelic: "Mo chuisle, mo mhac, mo stóirín"

But as I want a tattoo that I can expand on if we have any more children I decided that that line simply isn't suitable.

Could you perhaps help me adjust it? I want something along the lines of:
"My heartbeat, my treasure(s), my children." In traditional font.
Or if you think you have a better suggestion, I'm open to that.

Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome! :good:


Just replace mhac by chlann:

Mo chuisle, mo chlann, mo stór

Mo ċuisle, mo ċlann, mo stór


Perfect! I agree!

Naera, just to explain, "clann" is a word that refers to the collective children of the family (it doesn't mean "clan" in the English sense). As Labhrás indicated, after "mo" it becomes "chlann" (or, if you prefer the old writing, it will have a dot over the "c" in place of the "h" as Labhrás has it above).

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017 7:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 19 Jan 2017 1:26 pm
Posts: 15
Thank you both so much! ❤️

So that would mean:
Mo chuisle, mo chlann, mo stór =My heart, my children, my treasures
Right?

So stór is plural?
And can I change the order without influencing the meaning/grammar?
Mo chuisle, mo stór, mo chlann
Or
Mo chlann, mo stór, mo chuisle

I don't know if there would be a preference in order due to pronunciation or tradition?

I love the look of this in the traditional font, perfect for my tattoo ❤️


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Jul 2017 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 648
Naeara wrote:
Thank you both so much! ❤️

So that would mean:
Mo chuisle, mo chlann, mo stór =My heart, my children, my treasures
Right?

So stór is plural?


No, stór is singular. I wouldn't use plural (stórtha) here, because stór means much more than "treasure" and so "mo stórtha" could perhaps be misinterpreted as "my provisions" or "my storeys" etc.
You used "stóirín" which is something like "little treasure". But I would recommend "stór"

Quote:
And can I change the order without influencing the meaning/grammar?
Mo chuisle, mo stór, mo chlann
Or
Mo chlann, mo stór, mo chuisle

I don't know if there would be a preference in order due to pronunciation or tradition?

I love the look of this in the traditional font, perfect for my tattoo ❤️


Of course you can change the order.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2017 3:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3318
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Labhrás wrote:
Naeara wrote:
Thank you both so much! ❤️

So that would mean:
Mo chuisle, mo chlann, mo stór =My heart, my children, my treasures
Right?

So stór is plural?


No, stór is singular. I wouldn't use plural (stórtha) here, because stór means much more than "treasure" and so "mo stórtha" could perhaps be misinterpreted as "my provisions" or "my storeys" etc.
You used "stóirín" which is something like "little treasure". But I would recommend "stór"

Quote:
And can I change the order without influencing the meaning/grammar?
Mo chuisle, mo stór, mo chlann
Or
Mo chlann, mo stór, mo chuisle

I don't know if there would be a preference in order due to pronunciation or tradition?

I love the look of this in the traditional font, perfect for my tattoo ❤️


Of course you can change the order.


I agree here as well.

If it helps with "stór," it actually means "my treasure" as in "my treasure hoard." So you can have any number of people be part of your "stór."

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2017 4:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 19 Jan 2017 1:26 pm
Posts: 15
Thank you both, again! :)
Your explanations help me out a lot, as well.
Labhrás, could you tell me why you'd recommend stór instead of stóirín? Is the 'little' not something that would fit well as it talks about children or does it allude to the treasure being of little value?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2017 2:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 648
Naeara wrote:
Thank you both, again! :)
Your explanations help me out a lot, as well.
Labhrás, could you tell me why you'd recommend stór instead of stóirín? Is the 'little' not something that would fit well as it talks about children or does it allude to the treasure being of little value?



My native language is German. The German word for stóirín is "Schätzchen" which can be a term of endearment but is often quite derogative instead: "Na, so ein Schätzchen!".
So, I wouldn't use "mein Schätzchen".

But this is probably not the case in Irish.
Both, "mo stór" and "mo stóirín" are equally common. So, of course, you can use "mo stóirín" as well.

mo stóirín


Last edited by Labhrás on Tue 04 Jul 2017 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 04 Jul 2017 2:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 19 Jan 2017 1:26 pm
Posts: 15
Thank you for the explanation :)
I think I'll use stóirín as they'll always be my little ones


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group