It is currently Mon 17 Dec 2018 3:12 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: To reinvent the wheel
PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3425
Location: Cill Dara
D'fhéach mé ar http://www.focloir.ie agus tháinig mé air seo: 'cosa crainn a chur faoi chearc'. Tá cuma an-suimiúil air! An bhfuil éinne in ann é sin a mhíniú dom?

To put legs of trees under a hen? I just don't quite get how that means to reinvent the wheel.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 29 Jun 2017 11:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1388
Saoirse wrote:
D'fhéach mé ar http://www.focloir.ie agus tháinig mé air seo: 'cosa crainn a chur faoi chearc'. Tá cuma an-suimiúil air! An bhfuil éinne in ann é sin a mhíniú dom?

To put legs of trees under a hen? I just don't quite get how that means to reinvent the wheel.

The word crann can also mean wooden, as an adjective, so perhaps the meaning is that it's silly to put wooden legs on a chicken, since it already has legs, just as it's silly to start all over again re-inventing the wheel.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun 2017 12:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2693
There was a discussion about that one on Facebook recently.
I don't remember which group or what the consensus was. :S


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun 2017 3:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 549
I don't think 'cosa crainn a chur faoi chearc/na cearca' is a great translation of 'to re-invent the wheel'.

http://www.irishlanguageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4606&view=next

Foclóir.ie uses the same Irish expression for 'to promise someone the earth/moon'. That one looks a bit better, I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun 2017 4:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 25 Dec 2011 2:06 am
Posts: 119
Saoirse wrote:
D'fhéach mé ar http://www.focloir.ie agus tháinig mé air seo: 'cosa crainn a chur faoi chearc'. Tá cuma an-suimiúil air! An bhfuil éinne in ann é sin a mhíniú dom?
n
To put legs of trees under a hen? I just don't quite get how that means to reinvent the wheel.
Errigal wrote:
I don't think 'cosa crainn a chur faoi chearc/na cearca' is a great translation of 'to re-invent the wheel'.

http://www.irishlanguageforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4606&view=next

Foclóir.ie uses the same Irish expression for 'to promise someone the earth/moon'. That one looks a bit better, I think.



In Tipperary it was a fairly common expression to describe some one having all the answers no matter what the problem or question was. ''She'd put feet under hens for you" meaning she knew everything. I seem to recall the idiom being used in the novel ''An Béal Bocht'' by Myles na gCapalleen(Flannery O'Brien)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun 2017 6:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 960
Bríd Mhór wrote:
There was a discussion about that one on Facebook recently.
I don't remember which group or what the consensus was. :S


Anseo ;)

Ní fada gur phléamar an nath anseo:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4790


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 30 Jun 2017 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 2693
Labhrás wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
There was a discussion about that one on Facebook recently.
I don't remember which group or what the consensus was. :S


Anseo ;)

Ní fada gur phléamar an nath anseo:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4790



:GRMA: Bíonn mé scaipí. :LOL:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group