It is currently Mon 23 Jul 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr 2017 9:12 pm 

Good day all. I am looking for a reliable translation for a tattoo for a friend of mine. They wish to have the phrase "For the tenacious, no road is impassable." tattooed on them in Irish Gaelic.

Also, I'm curious what the word for "blacksmith" is in Irish, in the old spelling if possible.

Thank you guys so much for any help you can provide. This forum helped me a long time ago and I'm hoping it can do so again. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon 17 Apr 2017 10:30 pm 

falsereality wrote:
Good day all. I am looking for a reliable translation for a tattoo for a friend of mine. They wish to have the phrase "For the tenacious, no road is impassable." tattooed on them in Irish Gaelic.

Also, I'm curious what the word for "blacksmith" is in Irish, in the old spelling if possible.

Thank you guys so much for any help you can provide. This forum helped me a long time ago and I'm hoping it can do so again. Thanks!

Gabha is the Irish for 'smith', Gabha Dubh is given as 'blacksmith', but gabha alone should be sufficient.

Old Spelling and old font: Gaḃa

Old Irish: Gobae

Wait for three to agree.

Cian

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Tue 18 Apr 2017 12:06 am 

An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
falsereality wrote:

Gabha is the Irish for 'smith', Gabha Dubh is given as 'blacksmith', but gabha alone should be sufficient.

Old Spelling and old font: Gaḃa

Old Irish: Gobae

Wait for three to agree.

Cian

Excellent, thank you very much. Did you have any thoughts on the other phrase?

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr 2017 11:51 pm 

I've locked your other thread and changed the title here as I assume you wanted.

I can agree with what you've been told about the word "blacksmith", as well. In fact, the common Irish names MacGowan and O'Gowan (in Irish, Mac Gabhann or Mac an Ghabhann and Ó Gabhann) mean "son/descendant of the blacksmith". Blacksmiths were treated as having magical powers (to transform metal, a gift of the gods) in many cultures, and Sir Gawain in the Arthurian legends bears a name with the same origin (but in Britain, of course, not Ireland).