It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar 2017 7:24 pm 

Has anyone ever done this? When I acquire a bit more vocabulary and grammar, I'd like to start so that way I can actually develop some ability in speaking, but resources seem fairly limited.

I think italki is a good resource for languages that have a broader base of speakers - I did not see any teachers of Irish on there that I was interested in taking lessons from. I have, however, found http://paraicdonoghue.com/ . I have not contacted him, but it seems promising. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding finding a teacher/conversation partner to practice speaking (particularly those interested in Gaeilge Chonamara)? I do not live in a major US city with an historically large Irish population (e.g. Boston, New York, Chicago, etc), so something online will most likely be the best solution for now.

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017 6:30 am 

Have you seen how much he's asking for his lessons ? !!!!!

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017 11:49 am 

I couldn't find prices, but after reading your comment I did some more digging and found them. I think it depends on how long the lessons are - which apart from the free trial (35 minutes), I couldn't find where this is specified. I'm unaware of the going rate, but comparing to prices on italki it seems very language dependent.

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar 2017 11:51 am 

I also found this person offering lessons: https://irishandenglish.com/

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr 2017 4:25 pm 

Based on the responses, or lack thereof, it appears that this isn't a popular route to take. What do others do to gain speaking proficiency if you do not live near other Irish speakers?

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr 2017 4:45 pm 

I wouldn't necessarily take lack of responses as an being a vote against the lessons; it's more just that people don't tend to comment on things they have no experience with here, unless it's to point something out (like if bad Irish was used on one of the webpages). That said, both lessons look to be fairly expensive, and you can likely find other ways cheaper.

Even if you're not in a city known for its Irish population, there is still a relatively decent chance that you will have other Irish speakers around you, or even classes (assuming any decent sized city; obviously you won't out in the country). You could also look at posting on Gaeilge Amháin on Facebook, or the group Gaelskype, though most on the latter (and the former, to be honest) are learners. Not that there's necessarily anything bad with practicing with other learners, but you just need to be aware. And those would generally be 100% free, too. You could also try iTalki, though none of the three teachers of Irish are native speakers, and all of them clearly use English sounds and structures that wouldn't be used by natives (again, something you'll have to watch out for no matter where you get practice, even on Gaeilge Amháin!).

You could also try Comhrá le Chéile. I did a session with them, and it was great. $40 for 6 one hour sessions. There are other people in the sessions, but the person in charge works to make sure everyone talks and asks questions, etc. They usually have specific focuses as well, so it can help build up vocabulary. And the runner of it has a MA in Irish from NUIG and speaks lovely Donegal Irish.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Apr 2017 7:18 pm 

You might like to have a look at this -

www.tg4.ie/ga/foghlaim/ceachtanna

PostPosted: Fri 09 Nov 2018 11:52 am 

Just updating this thread...

I also found three tutors here:

https://www.verbalplanet.com/Irish-Tutors.asp

One is native, from Connacht (Joyce Country). Her rate is €25 for 45 mins, which is cheaper than Paraic Donoghue's €32.50 for 45 mins. Donoghue is also a Connacht native.

Siobhán Ní Mhaoildhia ( https://irishandenglish.com/ ) is less than half the price, at €16/hour and first lesson is free. I'm convinced she's native. As for dialect, it seems mostly Connacht but in the poem linked below she pronounces "féin" once with 'f' and once as 'h', which is a Munsterism, right? One webpage says she went to Coláiste Íde, and I guess that means the one in Kerry, so maybe she picked up some Munsterness along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJJbzKnFkvs