It is currently Wed 14 Nov 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 18 Nov 2016 9:26 pm 

I wonder whether anyone can help with this?

I'm researching the Macleods of Lewis (Scotland) and have come across an old tradition saying that a father refused to give his daughter in marriage because "gun ro leum na ceann aig aird na gealaich" which seems to mean "she was crazy (lit. she had a leap in her head) because of the full moon".

This phrase 'leap in her head' makes me think of the phrase 'headstaggers' which, as far as I know, is used in Northern Ireland. Perhaps in the Republic too?

So, my question...is 'headstaggers' an anglicisation of some Gaeilge phrase - perhaps similar to the Scottish Gaelic phrase mentioned above??

Many thanks for your time!
William

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2016 12:29 am 

wulliam wrote:
I wonder whether anyone can help with this?

I'm researching the Macleods of Lewis (Scotland) and have come across an old tradition saying that a father refused to give his daughter in marriage because "gun ro leum na ceann aig aird na gealaich" which seems to mean "she was crazy (lit. she had a leap in her head) because of the full moon".

This phrase 'leap in her head' makes me think of the phrase 'headstaggers' which, as far as I know, is used in Northern Ireland. Perhaps in the Republic too?

So, my question...is 'headstaggers' an anglicisation of some Gaeilge phrase - perhaps similar to the Scottish Gaelic phrase mentioned above??

Many thanks for your time!
William

I don't speak Scots Gaelic. But that doesn't look like it could be the meaning. And I've never heard the English expression. Caoimhín or Lughaidh our Gaelic experts will be around soon.

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2016 3:22 pm 

Thanks - it is old Scots Gaelic (written about 1865-1870) and so some of the spelling is archaic and/or phonetic.
As for 'headstaggers', I've heard a number of Northern Irish friends use it...you can see one usage of it here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... adstaggers

Thanks again,
William

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2016 9:05 pm 

Staggers is the name of a disease in cattle and sheep - they tremble and have trouble standing up - somebody somewhere in NI adapted its use by adding the word to - head. As far as I can see, its use is restricted to Ulster.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016 6:36 am 

The answer you got at Fòram na Gàidhlig seems to make good sense, and "akerbelts" is far more knowledgeable than anyone here:

Quote:
The second part actually means "at full moon", making the whole thing an elaborate excuse for her being bonkers due to the full moon - which isn't anyone's fault so nobody would be offended. A bit like the old-fashioned word moonstruck.

PostPosted: Tue 22 Nov 2016 7:33 pm 

Thanks CaoimhínSF. I hope I haven't given the impression of ignoring akerbeltz's thoughts - they're excellent. I was just summarising my understanding which is (mostly) based on what akerbeltz wrote.

I was posting on here to find out whether 'headstaggers' might be an anglicisation of some Irish Gaelic phrase...more out of interest than to further my understanding of the original phrase.

William