It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2020 9:33 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Bedel's Bible
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016 7:50 pm 

In my search for further inspiration for the tattoo I am planning, I came across Bedel's Old Irish Bible today. I have done a moderate Internet search to see if there are any owners who might be willing to seek out the passage I have in mind and send a picture of it. I found once person whom I am waiting for a response from, but I am not particularly hopeful in regards to that.

The script in the Bible is exactly what I am looking for in the tattoo and it would be a very easy means of ensuring complete accuracy, assuming it is accessible anywhere. I just figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had any knowledge of a copy being owned by someone who would be willing to help.

Post subject: Re: Bedel's Bible
PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016 9:02 pm 

jmath679 wrote:
In my search for further inspiration for the tattoo I am planning, I came across Bedel's Old Irish Bible today. I have done a moderate Internet search to see if there are any owners who might be willing to seek out the passage I have in mind and send a picture of it. I found once person whom I am waiting for a response from, but I am not particularly hopeful in regards to that.

The script in the Bible is exactly what I am looking for in the tattoo and it would be a very easy means of ensuring complete accuracy, assuming it is accessible anywhere. I just figured I'd ask here to see if anyone had any knowledge of a copy being owned by someone who would be willing to help.

There are (at least) two versions: a version in "Cló Rómhanach" and a version in "Cló Gaelach".
You refer probably to the latter.

Both are available online, eg.
https://archive.org/details/bioblanaomhthaan00bede (Antiqua, Old and New Testament)
https://archive.org/details/leabhuirtseantio00bede (Gaelic Script, Old Testament)

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016 9:32 pm 

Wow! That's even better than I expected! Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016 5:35 am 

jmath679 wrote:

Is there a reason it has to be Bedel's and not An Bíobla Naofa?

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016 9:20 am 

I am unaware of it. Source?

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016 12:29 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
jmath679 wrote:

Redwolf

Because of the seanchló, I'd guess, and the funny "sean-noda" in it.
And perhaps because of the old fashioned language.
(I'd probably prefer in English language an old fashioned King James Bible tattoo if I would like tattoos and bible quotes at all. But I don't. ;))

jmath679 wrote:
I am unaware of it. Source?

http://www.anbioblanaofa.org/

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016 12:51 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
jmath679 wrote:

Redwolf

(I'd probably prefer in English language an old fashioned King James Bible tattoo if I would like tattoos and bible quotes at all. But I don't. ;))

It is because of the old fashioned language. I do love modern Irish language and will likely someday get a tattoo in it also, but for this tattoo I don't want something in a standard font even if it's using a modern Irish language. The Bedel version has an interesting alphabet and will really make that tattoo stand out as something more unique while holding the historical significance I'm looking for. When I decide on the tattoo for modern Irish, it'll likely be an Irish proverb I find meaningful.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016 5:23 pm 

jmath679 wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
jmath679 wrote:

Redwolf

It is because of the old fashioned language. I do love modern Irish language and will likely someday get a tattoo in it also, but for this tattoo I don't want something in a standard font even if it's using a modern Irish language. The Bedel version has an interesting alphabet and will really make that tattoo stand out as something more unique while holding the historical significance I'm looking for. When I decide on the tattoo for modern Irish, it'll likely be an Irish proverb I find meaningful.

You can get anything in sean-chló, though. It doesn't have to come from a source that used sean-chló. There are fonts available that will allow you to print anything you like in it.

Also Bedel's is a Protestant translation and An Bíobla Naofa Catholic...the quotes might not line up exactly.

Redwolf

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jun 2016 5:34 pm 

Redwolf wrote:
jmath679 wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
jmath679 wrote:

Redwolf

You can get anything in sean-chló, though. It doesn't have to come from a source that used sean-chló. There are fonts available that will allow you to print anything you like in it.

Also Bedel's is a Protestant translation and An Bíobla Naofa Catholic...the quotes might not line up exactly.

Redwolf

Ahhhh well I chose psalms 51:10 based on a protestant text anyway so that's not an issue, but I'll give sean-chló another look

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2016 8:54 pm 

The Biobla Naofa is a good source. As, as far as I know, it is translated from the original languages of the Bible, not translated from English.