It is currently Thu 03 Dec 2020 11:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 68  Next
PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2016 2:51 am 

Dia daoibh! Is mise Daireann. My dad was born here in the states, but his parents were Irish immigrants who spoke Gaelige, but rarely spoke it once they moved to the states. My dad had a few phrases here and there, but mostly just terms of endearment for us kids, so I never learned much. He passed away in November and since then I have been trying to learn more about who he was and who my grandparents were. He was so proud of his Irish blood and I hope to do him honor in learning more about it.

That said, aside from the few tidbits I recall from throughout my childhood I am a very new learner, so forgive the many mistakes I am sure I am going to make. Go raibh maith agat!

PostPosted: Fri 17 Jun 2016 10:06 am 

Dia daoibh, ‘chuile dhaoine. Gearóid atá orm. Is as Longfort mé ach anois tá mé i mo chónaí i mBaile Átha Cliath. Thosaigh mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge (aríst) beagnach dhá bhliain ó shin agus tá mé an-bhuíoch díbh as bhur mínithe agus bhur bplé sá fóram seo.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016 2:51 am 

Hello,

My name is Jason Matheson. I have lurked on your forums for a while, but finally joined to begin the learning process here. I also will be seeking a translation for a tattoo, specifically Psalms 51:10, possibly through verse 12 depending on length once translated.

Anyway, the most pressing question I have to begin with is, where on here is the best resource to learn about the dialectical differences in the Irish language?

A secondary and less important question is about the special font I have seen in some places on here that is sometimes in green, but reminds me of scripts I have seen from things such as LotR. What is this font and what is the likelihood of having the translation I'll request later in this font?

Thank you for any responses and I cannot wait to begin the journey into the Irish language!

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016 7:05 am 

Dia dhuit a chara,

You might like to start with this, though I hope it isn't too complicated for you

https://www.uni-due.de/DI/Dialects.htm

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jun 2016 10:42 am 

I'll check that out. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Jun 2016 9:07 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Jason, Daireann, and Gearóid. :wave:

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul 2016 2:59 am 

dia daoibh! Saoirse is ainim dom, I have been trying to learn Irish for about a year now but I am a very slow learner, I have always loved my Irish heritage since I was very little and been drawn to that aspect of my heritage for a long time, I have had an on and off interest in the language but started to study it seriously last year, right now i am using duoling (i know it isnt the best ) in combination with listening to a lot of radio na gealtachta and watching cúla 4. I plan to get actual lessons one day , One of the things that is adding to how slowly im learning is the fact that managing to use the language every day is pretty hard but I am working on fixing that, I am Autistic and I comunicate primarly through a communication program on my ipad called Proloquo2Go; so in addition to getting my fiance to learn with me I am trying at least, to make it possible for me to speak it through my communication device, this is a fair bit of a challenge and I often end up making some progress before I take a few months break it would be a lot easier if the company the program gets their voices from had a bilingual Irish voice (Bilingual for Irish that is) I have put in a few requests befor ach it might be time for me to start seding them in agaun, im going to have to build my vocabulary set from scratch given Gaeilge is not exactly on their language sets to add priority list, but having the bilingual voice would mean i could just type in irish and add the words and not spend 30-40 minutes trying to get the program to speak them half correct

anyways im not sure what else to add im also pretty passionate about the advocay work I do and will likely be wanting to make some of the things i do bilingual and i might tend to speak of Madraí a lot. is grá loim madraí! ach i used to have Madra Bán, her name was Nim I might bring her up a fair bit and may ask for service dog related translations in the future!

and thank you im happy to be here

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul 2016 11:51 am 

You are very welcome to the forum Saoirse. :wave:

I think I know you from Facebook (I'm Bríd Eilís).

ABAIR is a good synthesiser. But be careful of getting the spelling correct or you won't get the correct pronunciation. You can also put a fullstop after each word to slow it down. Forvo has most of the everyday words too.

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul 2016 4:27 am 

Saoirse227 wrote:
dia daoibh! Saoirse is ainim dom, I have been trying to learn Irish for about a year now but I am a very slow learner, I have always loved my Irish heritage since I was very little and been drawn to that aspect of my heritage for a long time, I have had an on and off interest in the language but started to study it seriously last year, right now i am using duoling (i know it isnt the best ) in combination with listening to a lot of radio na gealtachta and watching cúla 4. I plan to get actual lessons one day , One of the things that is adding to how slowly im learning is the fact that managing to use the language every day is pretty hard but I am working on fixing that, I am Autistic and I comunicate primarly through a communication program on my ipad called Proloquo2Go; so in addition to getting my fiance to learn with me I am trying at least, to make it possible for me to speak it through my communication device, this is a fair bit of a challenge and I often end up making some progress before I take a few months break it would be a lot easier if the company the program gets their voices from had a bilingual Irish voice (Bilingual for Irish that is) I have put in a few requests befor ach it might be time for me to start seding them in agaun, im going to have to build my vocabulary set from scratch given Gaeilge is not exactly on their language sets to add priority list, but having the bilingual voice would mean i could just type in irish and add the words and not spend 30-40 minutes trying to get the program to speak them half correct

anyways im not sure what else to add im also pretty passionate about the advocay work I do and will likely be wanting to make some of the things i do bilingual and i might tend to speak of Madraí a lot. is grá loim madraí! ach i used to have Madra Bán, her name was Nim I might bring her up a fair bit and may ask for service dog related translations in the future!

and thank you im happy to be here

Haidh, a Shaoirse. I'm neuro-atypical myself (I was originally dx'd with Asperger's but they no longer use that dx in my country so I just call myself neuro-atypical). For me, learning written language is pretty straight-forward, but anything involving spoken language is challenging due to my interpersonal disabilities and social anxiety, as well as a mild hearing impairment. So I understand how it is when you have special learning needs. I'm on Duolingo too--I'm Ceid-Donn there and if you wish you can add me as a friend. I know Scottish Gaelic already (not totally fluent but I'm pretty advanced) so Irish is a little easier for me. I've completed the Duo Irish tree already and am currently reviewing it, so if you have any questions about it, you can just post to my profile page and I'll see it. Good luck with your studies.

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul 2016 8:34 pm 

Hello everyone!

My name is Benn and I am an American who is lucky enough to have Irish heritage on both sides of my family. It has been a couple of generations, but I find myself drawn specifically to that chunk of my heritage and am interested in exploring it more. I recently started learning Irish through Duolingo and am (slowly) making progress. I found this forum through http://www.bitesize.irish/blog/so-you-want-an-irish-gaelic-tattoo/ as I was considering adding some Irish to my next tattoo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 68  Next