It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb 2017 8:58 pm 

Hello, all!

I am here because a friend heard I was trying to learn, and sent me this way because another friend of hers found the community here friendly.

I am delving into Irish Gaelic as a reconnection with the generations before my parents. I've cut ties with my abusive parents, but don't want to abandon my family and it's history, and that brought me here. My Great grandparents (all of them) were either Irish, or Irish-American immigrants. My grandparents on one side were Irish-American immigrants.

So, I'm curious.

I'll be about, hunting resources first, and with questions later, I'm sure. For now, I'm considering a tattoo with a phrase that struck me particularly hard yesterday (I already asked about that, in it's own thread), and hitting a bookstore soon to order whatever work I end up choosing to learn the language from.

Thank you all in advance for being witness and advisers to my journey.
~Mischief

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb 2017 9:11 pm 

Pleased to meet you Mischief. I too am learning Irish as a way to reconnect with my ancestors. Also, I have been learning the language off and on over the years but lately am feeling inspired to delve more deeply into the study of the language. Hopefully we can learn and become proficient together.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Feb 2017 8:15 pm 

Posting this here to correct my mistake from earlier.

Cad é mar atá sibh?

:hullo: Tá mé sásta a bheith anseo. Is foghlaimeoir mé. Tá mé i mo chónaí in Arlington, Texas.

I began studying Irish a few years ago but ended up putting it on the back burner for awhile as other aspects of life stepped into the way. But I am ready to get back in to my learning and get more serious about making it a part of my life. I have recently met a new friend who has moved to my local area from Leitir Ceanainn, Donegal, Ireland and she has been helping me with my pronunciation occasionally which is keeping me inspired to continue improving. I hope to make more friends here and continue to learn each day. I have a deep love of Irish and other Celtic music and culture. I've done my genealogy and DNA tests and found I have deep ancestral ties there so learning the language makes me feel more connected to my ancestors as well. Online I go by the name Cianaodh Óg but offline my friends know me as Troy Young which is a name so common it gets lost in the shuffle when people try to find you online. Hence the chosen name. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue 28 Feb 2017 7:19 pm 

Dia dhaoibh,

Is mise Harrison. I had studied Irish years ago and spent some time in Rosmuc, but have since slacked off and forgotten most of what I had learned. I've recently started studying again - using Ó Siadhail's "Learning Irish" along with "Colloquial Irish." I'm particularly fond of Gaeilge Chonamara. I appreciate any and all help/corrections and am looking forward to contributing here and to the time when I can help others as well.

-Harrison

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar 2017 12:50 am 

Is mise Dale D. Tá mé i mo gcónaí i California, USA. Bhí mí sa hÉireann i 1973-1975. Tá an leabhar "Teach Yourself Irish" agam, agus leabhair 's téip de Buntús Cainte freisin. Tá leabhar eile agam, An Prionsa Beag, An Grá agus An Ghruaim, Tóraíocht Dhiarmada agus Ghraine, agus Bunreacht na hÉireann, agus Focloir ar leith. Rannphairtím mé i Foram "TalkIrish.com". Is ball mé ar grúpaí "Facebook", Irish for Beginners, Gaeilge i Nua Eabhrac, Tá Mé Ag Foghlaim na Gaeilge, Gaeilge Skypers.
Tá mé ag foghlaim fós, ach tá grá agam don teanga. Is maith liom a fhíos linn.
Dale D

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar 2017 1:05 am 

Fáilte romhat, a Dale. Tá mé (agus cúpla daoine eile ar an foram) i gCalifornia freisin.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar 2017 7:23 am 

Dia daoibh! Seoirse is ainm dom agus is Gréagach mé. Tá mé ag foghlaim Gaeilge le dhá bhliain anuas. Is maith liom Gaeilge mar tá sí teanga shuimiúil, ach ródheacair freisin!

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr 2017 11:55 am 

Is mise Art, as Corcaigh ó dhúchas mé ach i mo chónaí i Sydney le sé bliana is fiche anois, níl fios agam go díreach ach is dóigh liom gur thosaigh mé ag ath-foghlaim na Gaeilge deich mbliana ó shín. Tá mé sáite inti anois. éistim le saol ó dheas ar RnaG gach lá (Is breá liom Corca Dhuibhne) agus féachaim ar Nuacht TG4 agus cláir nach iad. Táim ag staidéar anois chun a bheith ullamh don Scrúdú TEG leibhéal A2 a bheidh ar siúl anseo i Sydney ag tús mhí an Mheithimh. Tá baint agam le Cumann Gaelach i Sydney chomh maith.

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr 2017 11:01 pm 

Art wrote:
Is mise Art, as Corcaigh ó dhúchas mé ach i mo chónaí i Sydney le sé bliana is fiche anois, níl fios agam go díreach ach is dóigh liom gur thosaigh mé ag ath-foghlaim na Gaeilge deich mbliana ó shín. Tá mé sáite inti anois. éistim le saol ó dheas ar RnaG gach lá (Is breá liom Corca Dhuibhne) agus féachaim ar Nuacht TG4 agus cláir nach iad. Táim ag staidéar anois chun a bheith ullamh don Scrúdú TEG leibhéal A2 a bheidh ar siúl anseo i Sydney ag tús mhí an Mheithimh. Tá baint agam le Cumann Gaelach i Sydney chomh maith.

Welcome, Art. As you requested, I deleted your introductory post in the main part of the forum, which you've repeated here.

PostPosted: Wed 03 May 2017 1:49 pm 

Dia daoibh!

Is mise Annie, tá mé i mo chónaí in Maryland (Talamh Muire?), i Stáit Aontaithe.

My name is Annie and I'm living in Maryland, in the US. I've been aware of the Irish language since my late 20's and have been trying to learn more of it ever since. Thanks to smart phones and Duolingo, it's been easier in the last year. I've also been listening to music from TGLurgan as well as watching videos.

I find myself trying to mentally translate words and phrases based on what I know, and have tried using it when I'm in church, or when trying to get the kids moving in the morning. Cá bhfuil do bhróga has come in handy quite a bit with my five year old. As well as déan deifir. I'm trying to teach the kids too, little by little.

As I'm a fan of NCIS, I've also attempted, with what I know of Irish and admittedly some google translate, to write down Gibbs's rules in Irish, which is not easy!

I welcome correction, as I'd love to become more fluent. :) I'm told there used to be an Irish class at our local community college, but the teacher moved on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 727 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 73  Next