It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 73  Next
PostPosted: Tue 17 Oct 2017 3:05 pm 

Thank you! As it turns out, I did in fact file papers on Friday with the court to change my name! So, Seán it is. So excited!

PostPosted: Wed 18 Oct 2017 6:48 pm 

CláirseachBuí wrote:
Thank you! As it turns out, I did in fact file papers on Friday with the court to change my name! So, Seán it is. So excited!

Hi Seán,

That's quite an entry! Myself, I'm an Irishman abroad and I've learned three languages as an adult that I can speak almost fluently and two others that I speak way better than Irish, so I'd call myself a language aficionado too.

My motivation is that I've a young son and I want him to feel Irish, so I'm using the Colloquial Irish book on my own and singing the songs of the Futa Fata songbooks "Gugalaí Gug" and "Peigín Leitir Móir" with my son. I've picked Connacht Irish as the easiest dialect to learn, because of the materials available.

Do you have a plan for how you'll learn Irish, or have you started? With what materials? I'm very interested to know. I see a lot of posts by people starting to learn Irish, but not everyone knows what it takes to really learn a language.

Best of luck in any case,

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct 2017 9:48 pm 

Hello all,

I'm brand spanking new to learning Irish. I have very strong Irish ancestry, but have just recently had the desire to learn Irish. One of the reasons that I have never pursued learning it is that I was under the impression that no one spoke it anymore and that learning it would be as useful as learning how to speak Klingon. Much to my pleasant surprise, I learned that there is a great number of people in Ireland that still speak it fluently and on a daily basis.

Another reason that I thought I would like to learn Irish is to be able to understand it when I hear it spoken in films and television shows. I'm sure you're all aware of the four part BBC miniseries called, "The Hanging Gale." I love it and have wanted to show it to my father, but have not been able to find english subtitles for him to be able to understand them when they are speaking english. He has a difficult time understanding accents that are not from the U.S..

Last night, I decided to create .srt subtitle files so that my father can enjoy the series and to upload them to the major subtitle downloading sites for others to enjoy as well. I would like to include accurate translations to the Irish that is spoken as well as the spellings of what they are speaking. I would rather not just insert, "(Speaking in Irish Language)" every time they are speaking Irish.

If anyone would like to help me with this, I would be very grateful. I can create video or audio clips of all of the parts that are spoken in Irish and up[load them wherever it would be most convenient. Please let me know if any of you are interested.

I look forward to meeting and learning from the members here and helping with anything that I can.

Sincerely and respectfully,
Fiddlestix H. McWhiskers

PostPosted: Fri 20 Oct 2017 10:31 pm 

I've never seen that series, Fiddlestix, but I'd like to see it, and would be happy to help with translations. I'm not a native speaker, but know my abilities well enough to know when to ask for help from others. A while back, I helped out with some lines from the movie The Eagle (Jamie Bell and Channing Tatum) for which the movie didn't have subtitles. Some lines were in Irish and some in Scottish Gaelic, and it was fun figuring them out. It would probably be good if you could post video clips in a dedicated thread in the main part of the forum, so others could also listen and help out. I'm not sure how that's done, but I think you have to post the clips elsewhere and then put a link in your message here.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017 12:09 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
It would probably be good if you could post video clips in a dedicated thread in the main part of the forum, so others could also listen and help out. I'm not sure how that's done, but I think you have to post the clips elsewhere and then put a link in your message here.

I'll work on making the clips and I'll post them to youtube. The subtitling process takes much longer than I expected. It has taken me almost an entire day to do about 20 minutes, but I think I'm getting faster as I learn.

PostPosted: Sat 21 Oct 2017 3:08 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
It would probably be good if you could post video clips in a dedicated thread in the main part of the forum, so others could also listen and help out. I'm not sure how that's done, but I think you have to post the clips elsewhere and then put a link in your message here.

Per your suggestion, I have created a new thread with all the info and a quickly made video uploaded to YouTube. I hope this will be something fun for everyone.

Sincerely and respectfully,
Fiddlestix H. McWhiskers

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct 2017 11:09 am 

Hi all,

I am a Frenchman having Celtic ancestors (Brittany). I'm very interested with the cultures of the Celtic nations. I have an old dream... to go in Eire.

For this time, I'm here to discover a part of Ireland through its language and I need help for translations too.

Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Fri 15 Dec 2017 11:14 am 

Dia diaobh,

Táim anseo mar ta suim laidir agam i nGaeilge ach tá mo gramadach agus mo scilline leamhte/scriobhte go dona. Ta súil agam go mbeidh seans agam chun iad a fheabhsú.

Táim as Cnoc na Cathrach i nGaillimh ach anois táim i mo gconaí i bParis.

Sláinte! :wave:

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017 12:41 am 

Fáilte romhat a mhic lír!

PostPosted: Sat 16 Dec 2017 10:22 pm 

GRMA a chara!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 73  Next