It is currently Sun 18 Aug 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: TC: Reading to the kids
PostPosted: Sun 02 Dec 2012 7:43 pm 

So, in our (potentially) tri-lingual family, bed-time reading consists of a mixture of stories, quizzes and puzzles (dot-to-dot, etc.), mostly in Japanese and English so far, but I have started to read the kids lessons from Buntús Cainte (they are only three and five, so An Chéad Chloch, Cré na Cille, etc., will have to wait.)

Of course, this is just a chance for me to practice reading Irish aloud with something I know I can handle, but the reaction has been surprisingly good. The kids love the cartoon-like illustrations and we treat the grammar page as a quiz. At first I was just reading the whole page and translating the Irish to Japanese as I went, then my eldest started to try to guess what the Irish meant before I translated it. And they are asking me for more.

Which just goes to show, you don't need technicolor 3-D to get a kid's attention. :LOL: (Not having an idiot box in the house also helps.)

I am going to order some actual children's books online. Futa Fata has some very nice stuff but a limited range. Litríocht on the other hand has a comprehesive range (over 1000 childrens books) but very little about each book. Futa Fata gives a preview page from each book. Litríocht only shows the cover page.

I am going to get the "Tá mé ag fás" series, mainly because the kids already have some of them in English. However, with so much available I am in a quandary as to what to get next with so much to choose from.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for books they found really good for their own kids?

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Mon 03 Dec 2012 6:40 pm 

There is one book that I know of, it is called "Micí AR AN bPORTACH."

I hope this helps.

Swiss

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 3:50 am 

I just remembered a second one: An béar sa choill.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 9:09 am 

swisscheese wrote:
There is one book that I know of, it is called "Micí AR AN bPORTACH."

http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_i ... ts_id=4620 (Ages 6-9)

swisscheese wrote:
I just remembered a second one: An béar sa choill.

http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_i ... ts_id=1325 (Ages 8-12)

:GRMA:

Any impressions from yourself or from your kids?

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 12:51 pm 

I don't have kids myself, however, I got these books a good 7 years or soon when Whombat had the read a book project going on the old forum. They're both very easy to read, but I would suggest, "an béar sa choill" first. It has grammar more fit for your child's age, as least that is how I remember it.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 1:03 pm 

A Bhreandáin,

They might like Scéalta na gCeilteach, it has stories from all the Celtic countries (in Mayo Irish):
http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1238

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 6:35 pm 

swisscheese wrote:
I don't have kids myself, however, I got these books a good 7 years or soon when Whombat had the read a book project going on the old forum. They're both very easy to read, but I would suggest, "an béar sa choill" first. It has grammar more fit for your child's age, as least that is how I remember it.

Haha, yep, I can relate to that. I have bought many children's books in different languages over the years for my own study. :D (In the case of reading to my kids, I'm killing a couple of birds with one stone.)

An Lon Dubh wrote:
A Bhreandáin,

They might like Scéalta na gCeilteach, it has stories from all the Celtic countries (in Mayo Irish):
http://www.litriocht.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=1238

:wave: That's great, a Lon Dubh, although now I am tempted to chase down the Welsh original as well. :panic:

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 10:25 pm 

I'll have to come back to this thread when I have had a proper look at our books - we have many, many Irish language books for kids. A set that comes straight to mind is Futa Fata's 'Tá mé ag fás' series. They are vey educational taking an animal and explaining its life cycle and habitat and gives all kinds of interesting info about it. It has real photos and our kids love them. http://www.futafata.ie/advanced_search_ ... search.y=0

I will come back to this thread when I have more time. :reading:

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 11:31 pm 

Saoirse wrote:
I'll have to come back to this thread when I have had a proper look at our books - we have many, many Irish language books for kids. A set that comes straight to mind is Futa Fata's 'Tá mé ag fás' series. They are vey educational taking an animal and explaining its life cycle and habitat and gives all kinds of interesting info about it. It has real photos and our kids love them. http://www.futafata.ie/advanced_search_ ... search.y=0

I will come back to this thread when I have more time. :reading:

Yep, got my eye on 'Tá mé ag fás' already (see above). ;) I look forward to hearing back from you, a Shaoirse, and any one else with kids (or simply anyone with easy reading recommendations for learners).

I have a couple of nice history books for kids about the Celts and the Middle Ages that were translated into Irish, but the level is more early teens. When I tried to find the original English versions they had long gone out of print. :( (For study purposes, I like to have books in both languages whenever they are available.)

Does any one know of any books for kids originally written in Irish?

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012 12:56 am 

Breandán wrote:
Yep, got my eye on 'Tá mé ag fás' already (see above).
Note to self: reread posts properly before responding! :bash:

Breandán wrote:
Does any one know of any books for kids originally written in Irish?
Most of our books were originally written in another language - often not English. It seems like a pretty brilliant job - check out children's books from around the world to find the best ones to translate. 8-)