Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 07 Dec 2012 6:22 pm 

This is for a request on a Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/irishgaelictranslator

The request is for: "Anne. Sleeping with angels"

Faber has answered with:
Faber wrote:
B'fhéidir cosúil le "Aine....ina codladh leis na n-aingeal." My Irish isn;'t the best, but I'd say it somthing like that....and no, I am not on Irish Gaelic Translator.....BUT Máire Burns has given me some great lessons in Irish and that's probably better than putting drivel on Irish Gaelic Translator.

Cad é mar a bhí m'aistriúchán?

It's not a bad effort, Faber. Just a couple of tweaks:

Firstly, Áine (with a síneadh fada) is an Irish equivalent for Anne, but it is not normal practice to translate names. So, unless the person actually used the Irish version, I think the name should stay as Anne.

Secondly, na n-aingeal is the genitive plural, but I think we need the dative plural here, which would have a special form in Munster, but is just the nominative plural in standard and in other dialects, i.e., leis na haingil.

So I would suggest instead:

Anne. Ina codladh leis na haingil.

Await confirmation or correction ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Sat 08 Dec 2012 12:26 am 

I agree about the name. I don't know about Áine specifically, but many Irish names that are given as "equivalents" of names in other languages aren't actually related to those names in any way other than a somewhat similar sound ("Sorcha" and "Gráinne" spring immediately to mind). And, as you said, it really does have to do with what the person herself used as well...if she didn't think of herself as Áine, and if her friends and family didn't call her Áine, even if there were a one-to-one correlation, it would seem presumptous to use a form of the name the deceased never used.

Redwolf