It is currently Sat 07 Sep 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Cnósach Focal
PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2024 3:37 pm 

Is there any way one can read the Baile Mhúirne or Corca Dhuibhne version from the U.S. without paying at least 45 dollars(including shipping)? Only if anyone happens to know. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Cnósach Focal
PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2024 10:57 pm 

Ceanntuigheoireacht6 wrote:
Is there any way one can read the Baile Mhúirne or Corca Dhuibhne version from the U.S. without paying at least 45 dollars(including shipping)? Only if anyone happens to know. Thanks.

Well it is only 20 euros at https://shop.dias.ie/product/cnosach-fo ... a-bhailig/ . Does shipping take that to $45? There is no bootleg PDF version I know of. But I think this book is only of relevance to people focusing particularly on Muskerry Irish.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2024 11:06 pm 

Yes about the shipping for to the US, $48.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2024 11:14 pm 

There isn't a Corca Dhuíbhne version. There is that Irish-language dictionary of 70,000 words in Kerry Irish - Croidhe Cainnte Chiarraighe. There is a good PDF study of this at https://mural.maynoothuniversity.ie/523 ... 085509.pdf

Tracey Ní Mhaonaigh quotes T F Rahilly as saying "the work as it stands is an untrustworthy hotch-potch - a basis of W. Kerry Irish, mixed with Irish extracted from dictionaries and texts (there are scores o f quotations from the Irish O.T. and N.T.) and with bogus words such as aibhléis = ‘electricity’, cadhnradh = ‘battery’ (?) The work is certainly not worth printing".

Ní Mhaonaigh comments "Dá mbeadh O’Rahilly leath chomh sciobtha le gach éinne eile bheadh FD cuardaithe aige. Dá mbeadh sin déanta aige, bheadh an focal ‘aibhléis’ feicthe ansin aige. Cé gur ‘bogus words’ iad ‘aibhléis’ agus ‘cadhnradh’, is ‘bogus words’ iad atá fós beo sa lá atá inniu ann agus fáil orthu go forleathan i bhfoclóirí". FD here is a reference to Dinneen's dictionary. I think the tendency for the CO users to invent words for everything built on tentative steps in the 1920s and 1930s - when a number of new words appeared. Aibhléis is in Dinneen's dictionary, but O'Rahilly seems to be saying it was not Kerry Irish or used in the Gaeltacht. Aibhléis was actually used by Dónall Bán Ó Céileachair in his Aodh de Róiste, by the way.

I think that book is available as a PDF.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2024 11:19 pm 

Croidhe chainnte Chiarraighe as a PDF is at https://www.forasnagaeilge.ie/wp-conten ... d45df6.pdf It is over 4,000 pages long.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2024 11:21 pm 

Interesting, thank you. Originally I was referring to Díolaim ó Chorca Dhuibhne, which I was thinking was the same thing as Cnósach Focal ó Bhaile Bhúirne but for Kerry Irish.

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jan 2024 11:23 pm 

Ceanntuigheoireacht6 wrote:
Interesting, thank you. Originally I was referring to Díolaim ó Chorca Dhuibhne, which I was thinking was the same thing as Cnósach Focal ó Bhaile Bhúirne but for Kerry Irish.

That only exists for words starting with A. I have it on my shelf, but only A was done.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan 2024 10:43 am 

Ceanntuigheoireacht,

I rang a few bookshops in the States that carry books in Irish, unfortunately they're not carrying Cnósach Focal. There are some Irish shops that have it with cheaper shipping, but they charge daft rates for the book itself.

DIAS will be your cheapest option.

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan 2024 11:37 am 

Thank you very much for trying!!

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jul 2024 3:35 am 

djwebb2021 wrote:
There isn't a Corca Dhuíbhne version. There is that Irish-language dictionary of 70,000 words in Kerry Irish - Croidhe Cainnte Chiarraighe. There is a good PDF study of this at https://mural.maynoothuniversity.ie/523 ... 085509.pdf mapquest

Tracey Ní Mhaonaigh quotes T F Rahilly as saying "the work as it stands is an untrustworthy hotch-potch - a basis of W. Kerry Irish, mixed with Irish extracted from dictionaries and texts (there are scores o f quotations from the Irish O.T. and N.T.) and with bogus words such as aibhléis = ‘electricity’, cadhnradh = ‘battery’ (?) The work is certainly not worth printing".

Ní Mhaonaigh comments "Dá mbeadh O’Rahilly leath chomh sciobtha le gach éinne eile bheadh FD cuardaithe aige. Dá mbeadh sin déanta aige, bheadh an focal ‘aibhléis’ feicthe ansin aige. Cé gur ‘bogus words’ iad ‘aibhléis’ agus ‘cadhnradh’, is ‘bogus words’ iad atá fós beo sa lá atá inniu ann agus fáil orthu go forleathan i bhfoclóirí". FD here is a reference to Dinneen's dictionary. I think the tendency for the CO users to invent words for everything built on tentative steps in the 1920s and 1930s - when a number of new words appeared. Aibhléis is in Dinneen's dictionary, but O'Rahilly seems to be saying it was not Kerry Irish or used in the Gaeltacht. Aibhléis was actually used by Dónall Bán Ó Céileachair in his Aodh de Róiste, by the way.

I think that book is available as a PDF.

Websites like Open Library provide options to borrow digital versions of books.