It is currently Sat 07 Sep 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Vifax now gone
PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2024 3:20 pm 

This was an excellent resource hosted on the Maynooth University website. It's now gone. vifax.maynoothuniversity.ie now redirects to snas.ie. The hundreds of short videos all with full transcription and worksheets has been replaced by the snas site which has hardly any of them. I have more than 200 of the videos on my laptop, but didn't realise I had to grab them all - and now can't get the rest. This is just vandalism. The whole attitude of the Irish language teaching "establishment" needs to be revised. The language is just used to create a comfy living for a few people, who have absolutely no intention of teaching the Irish language properly to anyone.

Post subject: Re: Vifax now gone
PostPosted: Sun 07 Jul 2024 4:21 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
This was an excellent resource hosted on the Maynooth University website. It's now gone. vifax.maynoothuniversity.ie now redirects to snas.ie. The hundreds of short videos all with full transcription and worksheets has been replaced by the snas site which has hardly any of them. I have more than 200 of the videos on my laptop, but didn't realise I had to grab them all - and now can't get the rest. This is just vandalism. The whole attitude of the Irish language teaching "establishment" needs to be revised. The language is just used to create a comfy living for a few people, who have absolutely no intention of teaching the Irish language properly to anyone.

Have you contacted anybody from either the Irish department in Maynooth, or from snas.ie to ask why they've been taken down, or whether they will be uploaded again on the new site? It could be as simple as hosting costs becoming too much to maintain. If they still have them they may be willing to send them to you.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2024 2:07 am 

I wouldn't waste my time with such a person. Someone called Anna Ní Ghallachair is in charge of the Snas TV project, which is replacing Vifax. It only has a small selection of the original videos and transcripts. E.g there were 10 videos on Food, but only 2 have made it through to Snas. Whereas the previous videos could be saved, Snas TV prevents downloads. If you look at https://snas.ie/lessons/priomh-aire-na-breataine-2/, you will see the page uses Brightcove Streaming technology, which means it can be streamed, but not saved. I suppose you could save it via screen capture, but the process would be laborious. Ní Ghallachair is an entirely inappropriate person to be employed in any position in the Irish language "movement" - she is chairman of Údarás na Gaeltachta apparently - but like most of the people employed in such positions in Ireland is obsessed with issues like copyright (which doesn't even apply to a 2 minute clip), which ultimately defeats anything she claims to do. She should be strongly condemned for what she has done here.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2024 7:13 am 

djwebb2021 wrote:
I wouldn't waste my time with such a person. Someone called Anna Ní Ghallachair is in charge of the Snas TV project, which is replacing Vifax. It only has a small selection of the original videos and transcripts. E.g there were 10 videos on Food, but only 2 have made it through to Snas. Whereas the previous videos could be saved, Snas TV prevents downloads. If you look at https://snas.ie/lessons/priomh-aire-na-breataine-2/, you will see the page uses Brightcove Streaming technology, which means it can be streamed, but not saved. I suppose you could save it via screen capture, but the process would be laborious. Ní Ghallachair is an entirely inappropriate person to be employed in any position in the Irish language "movement" - she is chairman of Údarás na Gaeltachta apparently - but like most of the people employed in such positions in Ireland is obsessed with issues like copyright (which doesn't even apply to a 2 minute clip), which ultimately defeats anything she claims to do. She should be strongly condemned for what she has done here.

You seem to be assuming this change had something to do with copyright. I see no reason to think that, much less to hold Anna Ní Ghallachair personally responsible. Most funding streams for 3rd level research in Ireland today require that researchers adhere to the "FAIR principles", intended to make data and research outputs easily findable and accessible. It seems that Maynooth University library is involved in helping researchers there ensure their work adheres to these principles, so it's safe to assume the ethos in the University leans away from enforcing strict copyright control. My assumption is that, if you were to contact them expressing a genuine interest in this data, they would be happy to share it with you, or at least to provide a good reason for taking it down.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2024 7:59 am 

djwebb2021 wrote:
If you look at https://snas.ie/lessons/priomh-aire-na-breataine-2/, you will see the page uses Brightcove Streaming technology, which means it can be streamed, but not saved. I suppose you could save it via screen capture, but the process would be laborious.

Tá ríomhchláir ann a chuidíonns le físeáin a íoslódáil, mar iTubeGo.
Bhain mé triail as agus oibríonn sé leis an bhfíseán a luaigh tú.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2024 8:43 am 

Labhrás wrote:
djwebb2021 wrote:
If you look at https://snas.ie/lessons/priomh-aire-na-breataine-2/, you will see the page uses Brightcove Streaming technology, which means it can be streamed, but not saved. I suppose you could save it via screen capture, but the process would be laborious.

Tá ríomhchláir ann a chuidíonns le físeáin a íoslódáil, mar iTubeGo.
Bhain mé triail as agus oibríonn sé leis an bhfíseán a luaigh tú.

Go raibh maith agat, a Labhráis, bainfead triail as. Más mar sin ' oibríonn sé, b'fheidir liom na físeáin a cuireadh ar an suíomh nua d'íoslódáil. Ní fheadar an mbeid siad ag cur na bhfiseán eile ('sé sin, an tromlach díobh) ansan nuair a bheidh uain acu air.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jul 2024 4:39 pm 

'Sea 'nois, a Labhráis, oibríonn do ríomhchlár go maith, agus táim tr'éis trí físeanna d'íoslódáil ó SnasTV. Ach ós rud é go gcostaíonn an ríomhchlár san deich n-iúrónna an mhí, agus ná lamhálaid siad duit ach na trí físeanna do thógaint saor in aisce, ní bhead ag díol an oiread san airgid as an seirbhís sin. Tá breis is dhá chéad físeanna ón suíomh bunaidh agam ar mo ríomhaire glúine, agus caithfead bheith sásta leis. Is mór an trua ná fuilid na físeanna mar gheall ar stocmhargaí an domhain agus abhair mar sin le fáil - nílid siad le fáil ar an suíomh nua ach chómh beag, agus nílim deimhnitheach de go mbeadh na focail a húsáidithar chun na nithe sin do phlé agam, ach... sin mar a dheinid na hÉíreannaigh a dteanga féin a chaomhnú, mar dh'ea - ní nách iúnadh i gcaitheamh breis agus céad bliain níor éirigh leó aon rud puínn a dhéanamh chun an gnó so do chur chun cínn....