It is currently Wed 21 Aug 2019 4:24 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue 06 Aug 2019 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2019 11:02 pm
Posts: 1
Hi! So I'm reaching the end of a summer study in Dublin and am looking to get a tattoo the next time I return to Ireland. I have a few quote options in mind, so please bare with me. Any help is extremely appreciated!!

"Where eagle's eye and ocean meet"

"do good recklessly"

"she will not fall"

"be present"

"you have a right to be here"

"the darkest hour has only sixty minutes"

Thanks in advance!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 07 Aug 2019 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 272
paaigeokeefe wrote:
Hi! So I'm reaching the end of a summer study in Dublin and am looking to get a tattoo the next time I return to Ireland. I have a few quote options in mind, so please bare with me. Any help is extremely appreciated!!

"Where eagle's eye and ocean meet"

"do good recklessly"

"she will not fall"

"be present"

"you have a right to be here"

"the darkest hour has only sixty minutes"

Thanks in advance!


I'll try to do some "literal" translations, then leave it up to others for corrections or other suggestions. Give us a few hours, or days. :)

"Where eagle's eye and ocean meet"

An áit a mbuaileann súil seabhaic agus aigéan le chéile

"do good recklessly"

Gníomhaigh maith faoin gcontúirt (This means "dangerously". There are other choices if you can tell us exactly what you mean to say. For example, ". . . gan smaoineamh > without thinking" may also be possible.)

"She will not fall"

Ní thitfidh sí. (If you are talking about yourself, you can replace "sí" with "mé".)

"be present"

Fan i láthair sa huaire. (literally, "Stay in the present.") OR Bí beo san am i láthair. (Live in the present.)

"You have a right to be here"

Tá sé de cheart agat beith anseo.

"The darkest hour has only sixty minutes"

Níl sa uair is dorcha ach seasca nóiméid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 08 Aug 2019 9:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 08 Jan 2016 11:37 pm
Posts: 124
Three typos, I believe ;-)

tiomluasocein wrote:
"be present"

Fan i láthair sa huaire. (literally, "Stay in the present.") OR Bí beo san am i láthair. (Live in the present.)

i láthair na huaire (*sa huaire makes no sense)

tiomluasocein wrote:
"You have a right to be here"

Tá sé de cheart agat beith anseo.

bheith


tiomluasocein wrote:
"The darkest hour has only sixty minutes"

Níl sa uair is dorcha ach seasca nóiméid.

san uair is dorcha


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 10 Aug 2019 7:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 272
silmeth wrote:
Three typos, I believe ;-)

tiomluasocein wrote:
"be present"

Fan i láthair sa huaire. (literally, "Stay in the present.") OR Bí beo san am i láthair. (Live in the present.)

i láthair na huaire (*sa huaire makes no sense)

tiomluasocein wrote:
"You have a right to be here"

Tá sé de cheart agat beith anseo.

bheith


tiomluasocein wrote:
"The darkest hour has only sixty minutes"

Níl sa uair is dorcha ach seasca nóiméid.

san uair is dorcha


Only the first was a typo, the others outright neglect . . . go raibh maith agat.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 13 Aug 2019 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1520
tiomluasocein wrote:
paaigeokeefe wrote:
Hi! So I'm reaching the end of a summer study in Dublin and am looking to get a tattoo the next time I return to Ireland. I have a few quote options in mind, so please bare with me. Any help is extremely appreciated!!

"Where eagle's eye and ocean meet"

"do good recklessly"

[What do you mean by good, as in good deeds?]

"she will not fall"

What is meant by fall here: e.g. to fail, to loose, to literally fall?]

"be present"

[Do you mean literally or metaphorically (i.e. to concentrate)?]

"you have a right to be here"

"the darkest hour has only sixty minutes"

Thanks in advance!


I'll try to do some "literal" translations, then leave it up to others for corrections or other suggestions. Give us a few hours, or days. :)

"Where eagle's eye and ocean meet"

An áit a mbuaileann súil seabhaic agus aigéan le chéile

[ :good:]

"do good recklessly"

Gníomhaigh maith faoin gcontúirt (This means "dangerously". There are other choices if you can tell us exactly what you mean to say. For example, ". . . gan smaoineamh > without thinking" may also be possible.)

[Needs clarification as to what is meant. In the meantime:

Déan an mhaith go contúirteach or Déan do mhaitheas-sa go contúirteach]

"She will not fall"

Ní thitfidh sí. (If you are talking about yourself, you can replace "sí" with "mé".)

[Needs clarification as to what is meant; but as a direct translation :good: ]

"be present"

[Again requires clarification]

Fan i láthair na huaire. (literally, "Stay in the present.") OR Bí beo san am i láthair. (Live in the present.)

[i láthair na huaire means 'currently/ presently': so fan i láthair na huaire means 'to stay presently'

'Bí i láthair' (direct translation)]


"You have a right to be here"

Tá sé de cheart agat bheith anseo.

[ :good: ]

"The darkest hour has only sixty minutes"

Níl san uair is dorcha ach seasca nóiméid

[ :good: ]

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Last edited by An Cionnfhaolach on Wed 14 Aug 2019 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 272
I used foclóir to translate "eagle's eye", specifically "eagle eye" and it gave me "seabhaic" with no h. Is that because it's being used in a slightly different way grammatically?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 14 Aug 2019 1:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1520
tiomluasocein wrote:
I used foclóir to translate "eagle's eye", specifically "eagle eye" and it gave me "seabhaic" with no h. Is that because it's being used in a slightly different way grammatically?


No, you'e right, dntls. Súil, as a feminine noun, usually lenites the following word: e.g. súil mhór, súil bheag.

But since súil ends in a dental, i.e. -l, and seabhac begins in a dental, i.e. s-, the s- is delinited.

dntls rules aren't always adhered to in Munster Irish, hence my correction.

I'll fix it above :good:

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Labhrás and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group